Hands-on exhibit gives viewers chance to play with art

An upcoming exhibit titled “Arthouse Gaming” features a form of art most people generally overlook: video game art.

“Technology is becoming a forerunner of different types of media that students are responding to,” Roberta’s Gallery Supervisor Kim Adams said. “We thought that it would be a good exhibit to feature at Roberta’s Gallery.”

Students submitted the video games for the exhibit and all of the video games will be playable.

“Most of the games might look like something you’ve played before and some may even feel like games you’ve played before,” Assistant Professor Joshua Fishburn said. “All are accessible and easy to start, but part of some of them is figuring out what it is that you’re supposed to do.”

Fishburn

While the pieces in the exhibit aren’t typical art, most people will be able to appreciate the common factors the pieces have.

Fishburn said each of the students are making the games without a traditional publisher yet still attempting to make a living from it.

“Another thing they have in common is respect for a tradition,” Fishburn said. “For some the tradition is classic videogames, for others it’s about trying something new and for others it’s a tradition of activist art.”

The exhibit will give students a unique experience to socialize with others while experiencing different video games.

“These video games are a social experience,” Fishburn said. “Many of these games would normally be played by a single player on a computer, so it’s a nice change to be able to encounter, experience and discuss them together in a physical space like a gallery.”

The exhibit will also allow students and community members to see what other students work on and what can be accomplished.

“It’s going to be a great opportunity for students to see other students’ creativity,” Adams said. “Students will also be able to see what other students are doing with technology.”

The “Arthouse Gaming” exhibit is a change from normal exhibits which usually don’t allow the pieces to be touched.

Adams said there will be a lot of hands-on activities for people to participate in and it will be an interactive exhibit.

“Students will see at least a few games that they’ve never seen before,” Fishburn said. “The games attempt to do something new and challenge players in new ways. The games tell interesting, sophisticated stories. Even without all of that fancy stuff, the games are just fun.”

There will be a reception from 5-6:30 p.m. April 16. The reception will coincide with the Media Arts and Game Development Expo.