Warhawk track and field teams host Foster Open

The men’s and women’s track and field teams hosted the Foster Open Friday,  and while there were no team scores recorded, the Warhawks combined for nine first-place finishes.

On the men’s side, first-place finishes included sophomore Dylan Crafton in the 100-meter dash with a time of 10.94.

“I feel my performance in the 100 meters this past week could have been better, but the 4×4 performance I competed in was the best this year,” Crafton said.

Senior Tim Prelletz also took first, winning the 400-meter race, with a time of 48.94. Although he took first, Prelletz says he has a lot to work on.

“I definitely have a lot to improve on with different parts of my race, but I’d say I’m heading in the right direction early on,” Prelletz said.

Senior long-distance runner  Mathias Werve finished first in the 800-meter race and junior Marcus Smith also came out on top by winning the 110-meter hurdles.

In the field portion of the meet, senior Luke Buchholz won the high jump while junior Dan Krause added another win, placing first in the pole vault with a score of 14’-11.5”.

For the women, freshman Lexie Sondgeroth won the 100-meter dash. In addition, she also provided the ’Hawks with strong second place finishes in the long jump and in the triple jump.

She capped the day as a member of the of the ’Hawks’ first place 4×100 relay team.

Freshman Beth Dreikosen finished first in the 200 meters and third in the 400 meters. Shelby Mahr, another freshman, placed second in the discus, hammer, and shot put.

Mahr said the transition from the indoor to the outdoor season can have detrimental effects on the way the team performs.

“The biggest disadvantage of competing outside is by far the weather,” Mahr said. “You never know what to expect from Mother Nature.

“It honestly depends on the day, but since I am a thrower the weather can really hamper the throws. Rain makes the rings slippery, the cold makes your muscles tense up, and the wind can really affect the flight of the disc. But if it’s warm, it’s great.”

Some feel that competing indoor actually provides them with a better opportunity to put forth their best performance but love being outside.

“Personally I like to compete outside,” Krause said. “When the weather cooperates, pole vaulting outdoors is great.”

Next week the men’s and women’s teams will both be competing in the Platteville Invitational hosted by UW-Platteville Saturday.