UW-W softball team finishes second in WIAC Tournament

The softball team had a chance to win the WIAC Tournament on Sunday and earn an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament, but fell short.
Because it is a double-elimination tournament, the Warhawks needed one win over UW-River Falls but fell short twice.

Ramirez

With the win in the first game of the tournament, UW-River Falls forced a second game after UW-Whitewater had defeated them the day before.  In the final championship game the Warhawks would lose again, this time 8-4.
The ’Hawks put up eight and nine runs respectively in games one and two against UW-Platteville and UW-River Falls.  In game three they advanced to the championship with a 4-1 victory over UW-Eau Claire, but back-to-back losses to UW-River Falls on Sunday ended their run.
In game one on Friday, the ’Hawks defeated UW-Platteville 8-0. UW-Whitewater struck early with a two-out two-RBI single from sophomore shortstop Laura Eichenold in the first inning.
Sophomore outfielder Samie Seamon led the way in a six run fifth inning with a grand slam.  Starting pitcher and junior Katie Boyle pitched a complete game, two-hit shutout with five strikeouts.
Starting center fielder and sophomore Mimi Ramirez said the ’Hawks have felt confident about their offense all year.
“As a team our ability to hit throughout the order has been a strength and I am confident in all of our hitters to get on base,” Ramirez said.  “I think that our offense is stronger this year.  So I think we have a great shot of making it even further this season.”
In game two on Saturday, UW-Whitewater defeated UW-River Falls 9-2.  Eichenold and freshman outfielder Paige Evangelista each had two RBIs, but freshman third baseman Joanne Jablonski led the way with three RBIs in a four-run fourth inning.
The ’Hawks played game three on Saturday after a two-and-a-half hour rain delay and they defeated UW-Eau Claire 4-1, ending their 16-game winning streak and 12-game home winning streak.
The ’Hawks scored all four of their runs in the first inning and it proved to be enough. Three of the four runs were scored on a bases-clearing double from sophomore first baseman Morgan Krisch.
Although they were close to winning the WIAC regular season and the conference tournament, the ’Hawks fell short of the NCAA Tournament.
UW-Eau Claire and UW-River Falls were the only ones from the WIAC to advance. The BluGolds won the WIAC regular season while the Falcons won the WIAC Tournament.
The Warhawks finished the year with a record of 32-11.