Adviser looks back 12 years as journalism lecturer

In journalistic sign language, the number  “30“ at the end of a news story means the story is finished.

For the past 12 years I have had a second career as a lecturer in the Communication Department, teaching students to be future journalists.

On Saturday, as other students begin their pursuit of a career, I am finishing 62 years as a journalist from standing on a street corner hawking newspapers to tweeting.

In the past, the thrill of seeing my byline on wire service copy and on the front pages of newspapers has shifted to seeing my former students as television anchors, reporters and editors all getting “shoe leather experience” in a new technology age.

I am grateful for the opportunity to have taught news writing, media operations and management, editing and sports and public affairs reporting.

During the past 12 years I have witnessed many changes to a university growing as an institution of learning, particularly in the Communication Department as it has adopted a convergence program from print to video and digital teaching and gaming. Many faculty members made my work as a Warhawk meaningful.

Also as adviser to the Royal Purple between 2003 and 2010 I watched the newspaper become a multi-media publication with a web site using video and digital photography, then on to Facebook and other social media outlets.

The University has greatly expanded from 2000 to 2012 with Hyland Hall, the new business school, modernization of Upham Hall and the University Center, construction of a new dormitory and soon to be the reconstruction of Carlson Hall.

Athletic Director Paul Plinske deserves a tip of the hat for the expansion of the school’s fine athletic facilities. Student athletes also brought nationwide recognition to the school with their many championships.

Hundreds of students have distinguished themselves academically in creating projects and by traveling as part of international programs.

None of the successes could have been reached without strong leadership in the administration and committed faculty members and advisers.

-Sam Martino

“30”