Women’s Golf: Playing through the elements

By Zach Hicks and Daniel Schoettler

A rainy day Friday in Delavan, Wis., didn’t stop the Warhawk women’s golf team from winning its fourth meet of the season.
The first round of the Warhawk Invitational in Delavan was rained out Friday, so the tournament turned into a one day event on Saturday.

Saturday’s weather brought a 45 degree chill and 30 mph wind speed.

“Given the miserable conditions [that we started the day with] on Saturday, I was impressed with how positive the girls on the team were,” senior Nicole Westcott said.

Ten teams participated in the meet.

Three Warhawks placed in the top five, with Westcott winning the meet with a score of 75.

Freshman Sammie Leibham placed second with a score of 79, sophomore Sarah Bregant finished in 9th place shooting an 84 and sophomore Catherine Hiltenbrand finished in 19th place with a score of  91.

“It would have been easy to just go through the motions given the conditions,” Westcott said. “[Since it was] our home tournament, the girls were focused and determined to give it their best.”

The ’Hawks posted a score of 319, good for best in the meet. Carroll University finished in second with 345 points, UW-Stevens Point finished third with 357.

Head coach Brett Weber said he has optimism going forward.

“This was the team’s fourth title this fall and the girls have achieved a top five score for the record books,” Weber said.

“I think the team did amazing,” sophomore Megan Ramp said.  “We had a few people quit on us and we thought we wouldn’t do so well because of that.  Nicole Wescott was our number one. She broke a school record by shooting a 75.”

“I can’t say enough about the support that our team gives one another,” Westcott said. “We have a great group of girls who are very fun to be around, even when the weather conditions are far from perfect.”

The team will travel north to Stevens Point on Sept. 29 and Sept. 30 for the Stevens Point Invitational.  The Stevens Point Invitational will be the team’s last chance to hone their games before the WIAC tournament from Oct. 5 to Oct. 7.