Eagles tribute band caps off Family Fest

Hotel California, an Eagles tribute band, is coming to campus to perform fan favorites in a salute to the classic rock group as the finale of this year’s Family Fest.

Family Fest is held early during the year to encourage parents to visit their children who are students on campus.

The event features carnival games, food, prizes, a Warhawk football game and a performance by a musical group to end the day.

Hotel California ends Family Fest with their performance at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 6 in the Young Auditorium.

Young Auditorium Marketing Specialist Leslie LaMuro said the campus has hosted other cover bands in the past for the event such as The Beatles and The Rolling Stones tribute bands.

“We try every year with Family Fest to bring a band or musical group in that might speak to both the parents and the students,” she said.

George “Dicky” David, a 15- year member of Hotel California, said the parent-age group is exactly the demographic the band tries to reach with its music.

“When we play the festivals and the fairs, the demographic is really broad,” he said. “It’s all the way from teenagers to seniors.”

Each member can play a wide variety of instruments. From your typical electrical guitar, bass and drum kit, to more obscure instruments like the mandolin, banjo and pedal steel, members Wade, Scott, Steve and James have the stage covered.

Members of Hotel California have over 30 years of experience combined. While only Wade remains as the last of the original founders, Dicky said each member brings an individual love of The Eagles with them, which is displayed through the passion of their playing. The band has played for festivals and fairs all over the Midwest. Some events they’ve performed at have had attendance of up to 250,000 people.

“We play events all the time where there are routinely thousands of people,” Dicky said.

Hotel California plays a wide variety of genres The Eagles offer, from acoustic to pop songs to country-inspired hits.

“The Eagles have a pretty vast catalogue of material,” Dicky said. “It’s extremely varied. That’s the attraction for me. It’s not one-dimensional music.”

The attraction doesn’t stop there, however. Dicky said the band loves performing live for fans, no matter how big or small the crowd.

“I completely love my job, which is playing a song, and people stand up and scream and holler and clap,” Dicky said. “That’s an immediate gratification.”

Even though they play a majority of tunes originally played by The Eagles, Hotel California draws influence from many other people and places as well.

From country singer George Jones to renowned cellist Yo-Yo Ma, Dicky said the band boasts a huge array of inspiration.

“Anybody who’s got a level of talent that’s so deep that they can strike that emotional chord in your heart, those are the people I admire,” Dicky said.

People who attend Hotel California’s performance can expect to hear all the hits, such as “Take It Easy,” “Life in the Fast Lane” and, of course, “Hotel California.”

The band also has some of Joe Walsh’s, Glenn Frey’s and Don Henley’s solo music prepared, but the members plan to keep exactly what tracks they’ll be performing a surprise.