Artist’s appearance provides many opportunities

Eric Lee describes his artwork as aesthetic, back-painted sealed glass that can withstand years of wear and tear from nature.

Besides his glasswork, he also makes functional artwork by painting on aluminum.

On Oct. 11, Lee will come to campus to provide four opportunities for students and faculty.

First, he will install his exhibit titled “Transitions…” in Roberta’s Art Gallery. His work will be on display until Oct. 29.

Second, he will host a creativity workshop that will be open to 40 students.

Adams

The University Center’s Assistant Director Kim Adams said the workshop will be “an interactive presentation which includes some hands-on projects.”

The workshop will be held from 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m. in University Center room 259.

After the workshop, Adams, Lee and a selected group of students will meet in the same room to discuss color palettes, styles and sizes for the piece he will be creating for the University Center.

Lee’s piece will permanently hang by Connor’s Conference Room.

Third, in celebration of the exhibit, Lee will appear at a reception in the gallery from 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. Light refreshments will be served.

The fourth event of Lee’s visit is a little different from the first three. He will help select 10 students who will travel to his hometown of Gurnee, Ill., free of charge, during the second week in November. They will help him create another piece to hang in the UC.

This piece will be hung over the fireplace in the Warhawk Connections Center.

Students interested in creating the collaborative art piece need to fill out an application explaining why they have an interest in the piece, what experiences they have working with art and what skills they feel they can contribute to the project.

“Folks don’t have to be an art major to work on this piece,” Adams said. “In fact, we’re hoping to get a really good cross section of students.”

Lee’s visit is also helping two students earn credit for school.

Junior Ella Hopkins and senior Ryan Holmer are student employees at the UC, and they will receive credit for helping coordinate the series of events.

As part of his senior project, Holmer will travel to Gurnee, Ill., with Lee and the chosen students to film the artwork being created.

Hopkins, a journalism major, is an intern and student manager of Roberta’s Art Gallery. She has dealt with the public relations aspects of this project. She writes press releases, makes brochures and announces radio ads.

Hopkins

“All the things I do here at work actually apply to the journalism credit that I’m being assigned,” Hopkins said.  “I’ve been able to experience more of a higher-level working experience than, just per se, working at a fast food job.”

In order to fulfill requirements for her internship, she asked professors within the communication department for ideas to help combine her work at the University Center with journalism.

Adams said this experience will be a “high-impact practice” for Hopkins and Holmer.

“It’s not just about creating the piece of artwork, it’s about helping students grow in planning,” Adams said.