Now: Adaptive institution

The college of business and economics (CoBE) has seen dramatic change in the last few decades.

Teleprompters, green screens and smart boards have replaced typewritters and main frames.  The reputation of the college has led to a record enrollment.

Since 2000, the enrollment at UW-Whitewater as a whole has gone up by 1,000 students, according to the Whitewater magazine. Associate Dean Lois Smith said this year’s enrollment of business students alone is the largest UW-Whitewater has ever had.

Smith said how much larger the college can grow will depend on staffing and available resources.

“We have to consider what is available,” Smith said. “If the state constricts our ability to hire, then we can’t serve any more students than we are now.”

A new marketing plan continues to draw in students. The college is active on social media and has print advertisements with the Milwaukee Business Journal.

In addition to catering to a technology-savvy generation, CoBE has also shaped its curriculum to address the global economy.

Fall 2012 marked the launch of the international business major, which has students crossing cultural boundaries, while studying their discipline.

Professor Praveen Parboteeah, who helped create the major, said this will give students a proficient understanding of other cultures.

“It’s amazing how global some businesses are,” Parboteeah said. “We will provide experience people need to successfully work with other cultures.”

In addition, students can also major in either water business or green management.

Dean Chris Clements said the college’s focus moving forward is to become increasingly global and will try to offer more international internships.

“College is a time to explore your options,” Clements said. “For students, their opportunities will never again be this unlimited.

Clements also said that the college wants to add more undergraduate programs.

She said change depends on the relationship between growth and quality. She also said technology has helped as a means to keep quality in programs.

“It’s an on-going challenge,” Clements said. “If we’re going to grow then we will need resources to support it; we can’t be wasteful.”