The need for students to self-promote, the art of networking

The instability of the current job market means relying strictly on a stellar academic record or a gleaming résumé alone might not land that dream job.

Networking is a valuable skill, regardless of career path, and connections made can make the difference when searching for jobs and internships.

Junior finance major and vice president for the Society for the Advancement of Management (SAM), C.J. Reiels, said students must actively seek career prospects.

“Opportunities won’t fall into your lap,” Reiels said. “Instead, take the initiative and seek them out.”

Reiels

Reiels attended the Hawk Career Fair in September and said he felt uneasy and nervous. Some people feel apprehensive when forced outside of their comfort zone, but Reiels overcame his fear by being prepared.

“Take advantage of campus services, and get involved with student organizations,” Reiels said. “Also, practice what you will say, it will help with anxiety.”

But what should students focus on while networking?

Senior accounting major and president of the National Association of Black Accountants (NABA) student chapter, Sydney Nelson, has five steps she said are key to great networking.

“Utilize every conversation as an opportunity, be strategic at career fairs, maintain relationships, be confident and be yourself,” Nelson said.

Through networking, Nelson has secured multiple internships with London-based PricewaterhouseCoopers, one of the largest accounting firms in the world.

She also landed an internship with Ernst & Young through the accounting program at UW-Whitewater.

“Recruiters have something to offer, and you have something to gain,” Nelson said. “Not everyone has a track record to brag about, and this is why networking is make or break for many.”

Whether meeting with student leaders on campus or attending career fairs, making connections can be essential for launching a career.

“Networking is truly about building lasting relationships that can turn into future opportunities,” Nelson said.

Nelson