Campus hosts ‘intergalactic’ horn festival

“You will come, you will play melodies, and you will have fun,” Director Linda Kimball said about the Fall Horn Festival she organizes every year.

Kimball

This year, the festival will start on the morning of Nov. 10 in the Center of the Arts. Participants are divided into choirs and have all day to prepare for the concert at 4:30 p.m.

This event is geared towards kids interested in playing the French horn.

The idea of this show is to provide an event for young horn players,” Kimball said, “to provide an opportunity for young horn players to come and be with other horn players and to see how much fun it can be if you stick with it.”

Kimball is UW-Whitewater’s faculty hornist and started having Fall Horn Festivals in 2003. She said she started the event to get young students interested in the French horn.

“At the moment, the French horn is potentially in danger of becoming a ‘dinosaur’ in the band program because it is a sort of specialty instrument,” Kimball said.

Jones

Ever year the festival has a different theme. The theme this year is “The Intergalactic Horn.”Music pieces ranging from “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” to pieces from Star Wars and Star Trek will be played.

Senior Jennifer Jones, who has participated in the Horn Festival for 12 years, said her decision to come to UW-Whitewater was based partly on her participation in the Fall Horn Festival.

She started coming to the festival when she was in 6th grade and continued until she was in high school. During this time, she said she caught the “Whitewater fever.”“I came from a school where I was the only horn player, and in coming to Horn Fest, I was shocked that there were more people who enjoyed playing the horn,” Jones said.

Kimball said she expects around 85 to 100 horn players, ranging from kindergarten to 12th grade, to attend the festival. Adults, band directors and faculty members are welcome to come enjoy this free event.