Emanuele Andrizzi named director of orchestras

From Italy to the United States, Conductor Emanuele Andrizzi has trained for over 20 years at universities across the continent.

He has been named the director of orchestras at UW-Whitewater.

The decision to add Andrizzi to the music faculty was made after a great turn over in the orchestra section.

Hanson

Dr. Frank Hanson, music department chair, said Andrizzi was one of a large number of applicants, but he was chosen for the position last spring because of his varied qualifications and broad experiences.

Andrizzi also had “extremely strong letters of recommendation from highly respected people,” Hanson said.

Collaborating with the Los Angeles Opera, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, DuPage Opera Theatre, New Philharmonic, the Opera Theatre of Rome and the Northwest Indiana Symphony Orchestra are among a few of Andrizzi’s accomplishments.

Aside from conducting and performing opera, he also has experience as the official piano accompanist for the International Prize Valentino Bucchi, and the vocal coach for the singing studios at Santa Cecilia conservatory.

Andrizzi said UW-Whitewater was his No. 1 choice out of the jobs he applied for because it is close to his home in Chicago, and because of the attributes he saw in the students.

“The thing that really appealed to me while I was there, was the fact that students were really into [music],” Andrizzi said. “They are focused in the crafting part, the way to teach music. I liked the fact that students are eager to learn.”

Aside from his job at UW-Whitewater, Andrizzi currently serves as the assistant and cover conductor for the Lyric Opera of Chicago during the 2012-2013 season.

“This is no small thing,” Hanson said. “This is a world-class opera company based in Chicago.”

On Nov. 19, UW-Whitewater students will travel to Chicago to see a production put on by the Lyric Opera of Chicago that Andrizzi set up for their viewing.

Hanson said Andrizzi was also chosen because he will add diversity to the faculty of UW-Whitewater due to his training in Europe.

Andrizzi received a performance diploma in opera and orchestra conducting and a 10-year diploma in composition from the Music Conservatory of Rome.

He received his education from the Italian education system, which he said is very similar to American schooling.

“Education is offered to everyone, and everyone is given an opportunity,” Andrizzi said.

Andrizzi will conduct the Whitewater Symphony, which incorporates winds, brass, percussion and strings, in addition to the  Chamber Orchestras, which only include string instruments.

He said he hopes to recruit more students into the program and make both ensembles more interesting.

“It’s very exciting for me because [UW-Whitewater] is a very good place to see things grow, and cultivate students who want an education,” Andrizzi said.