Anti-abortion organization hosts silent auction

UW-Whitewater student organization Saving Life will hold a silent auction titled ‘Compassion’ to support Crisis Pregnancy Centers and Homes. Guest speakers will be present along with special music and prayer.

The event will take place from 9 a.m. to noon on Nov. 17 in the Old Main Ballroom of the University Center and is open to everyone.

Freshman Jordan Debbink founded the organization this fall.

Debbink

“Saving Life is a Faith-based organization that stems from the belief that life is a gift from God and therefore is worthy to be protected at all stages,” Debbink said. “Our work as a group focuses mostly on spreading educational resources that help men and women in times of unplanned pregnancy.”

According to Debbink, the group plans to use the event to not only educate, but also show their compassion toward people who find themselves in a hard situation. The group wants to provide a safe and confidential atmosphere for people to be able to make decisions with the help and care from the group.

“This cause has been something that I have been passionate about for years, and so I’m glad to see it beginning to take shape on the campus,” Debbink said. “I have people constantly reminding me to be patient and let things fall in place, because I am a person who likes to see immediate results.”

Debbink said he hopes the group can grow and gain more members who feel as strongly as he does about the issue.

There will be multiple guest speakers at the auction, including directors from the Crisis Pregnancy Center and halfway homes.

“I don’t feel that the pro-life movement is always understood, especially on a college campus,” Vice

Abbott

Chairman Stephanie Abbott said. “This is a good chance for people to know who we are and what we do. This isn’t about converting people … It’s about educating and about dialogue more than anything.”