Men’s Track: Team takes third at Leonard Squigg Invitational

By Justin St. Peter

The Warhawks men’s track team, ranked No.4 in the nation, fared well in the Leonard Squigg Invitational Friday night at the Kachel Fieldhouse. They took third place out of nine teams in a stacked field that featured the top four Division III men’s track teams.

The third ranked team in the nation, North Central College, won the meet with 142 points. UW-Oshkosh, ranked No.1 nationally, took second with 110 points. The `Hawks finished six points behind the Titans with 104. UW-LaCrosse, ranked No.2 nationally, took fourth with 96.5 points.

It was a great showing for the men’s track team, as they took first in multiple events.

Senior Marcus Smith broke both the Kachel Fieldhouse record and his own record with a time of 8.01 seconds in the 60 meter hurdles. He now has the fastest time in the nation. In addition to that, he won the triple jump, breaking his own record with a jump of 50-4.5.

Sophomore Dawson Miller won the one mile race with a time of 4:16.81. The next closest finisher timed at 4:20.98.

“Going in, I just wanted to run my seed time,” said Miller. “The Wisconsin kid went out fast, and started dying, so my mission was to get to him. After I got him with two laps to go still, it was just kick it in from there.”

Junior Cory Zaeske won the high jump with a jump of 6-9. Senior Dave Kuczynski had a jump of 23-7.25 to win the long jump. Sophomore Luke Wenham took fourth with a jump of 23-0. Combined with Smith’s win in the triple jump, the `Hawks swept the jumping events.

Sophomore Mike Judd took second in the 60 m hurdles with a time of 8.21. Sophomore Jared Denu took fourth in the 400 meter with a time of 49.94.

The ’Hawks will hit the road this coming Saturday for a quadrangular meet at UW-Stevens Point.