Sub shop opens in Whitewater

April 9, 2014

By Rumasa Noor

The popular fast food franchise Jersey Mike’s just opened its new location in Whitewater. The franchise was purchased by father and son Tom and Robbie Sawyer, natives of Cottage Grove, Wis.

“The thing that drew me there is that they are a really reputable company,” Robbie Sawyer said. “The food they use is pretty much the best food you can get your hands on.”

Sawyer has worked for sub chains in the past and said that helped him understand the restaurant business.

Sawyer said one of the things that drew him toward Jersey Mike’s is that the chain emphasizes on providing fresh food to its customers.

“We slice every order right in front of you, no other sub shop does that in the country,” Sawyer said. “We literally pull everything out of our meat case, slice it down there and put it right down the line to you.

Jersey Mike’s’ Whitewater location had the second-highest amount of sales among all its locations in the country, Sawyer said. Even during Spring Break, it made it to the top 60. He said he is hopeful to make it to top 60 again this week.

“It’s going great, we are doing great sales we are donating a lot of money to local charity, so it’s going really well,” Sawyer said.

Three weeks ago, the company donated 100 percent of their sales for a day to Make-A-Wish Wisconsin, an organization,  dedicated to helping seriously ill children.

“We are really steep in brand and donating and giving back to the community,” Sawyer said.

Sawyer said the reception from the customers has been great.

“It’s been great. We are getting a lot of students obviously, but we are also getting a lot of the middle class around here is coming in; we sent  a lot of mailers out to people with discounts to come in and just try the food,” Sawyer said. “Everybody has liked it so far. I haven’t had many complaints at all.”

Jersey Mike’s is offering a student meal deal every day. The deal includes any regular sub on the menu with a soda and chips for $6.99. They offers both hot and cold subs.

“Our italian cold sub is the most popular, but our cheese steaks are doing pretty well, first in the area, we are selling pretty well out of most than everybody in the country,” Sawyer said.

Sawyer had been a general manager for many restaurants, but this is the first time he has opened his own store.

Sawyer said he chose Whitewater to open Jersey Mike’s because of the UW-W campus and because the local Whitewater area community embraces area restaurants.

He said he is optimistic about the future of Jersey Mike’s in Whitewater.

“I see us doing decent business all in all; it’s going to be a little harder in summer when the students are gone, but we will be alright with the local community,” Sawyer said.

The mission of Jersey Mike’s is to provide excellent food and service, Sawyer said.

“We want you having fun when you come in here, it’s not just people who have their head down and they don’t want to talk to you,” Sawyer said. “My people are supposed to be smiling and having fun. I pay people more I expect more, that’s pretty much how it goes.”