Music of the globe heard on one campus

Commentary by Alex Zamecnik

Commentary by Brittany Redden

Afro-Colombian rhythms, Korean beats, Moroccan Jazz and Ethiopian cross-cultural sounds will rock the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater campus this week.

Different cultures will blend together to put on the World Music Festival on Sept. 23.

Stacy Sherman, Young Auditorium marketing specialist, said the World Music Festival is a great way to start off the year.

“The World Music Festival is a free event to kick off the season and is also a fun way to introduce different cultures,” Sherman said.

The vast array of cultures brought to the Whitewater campus is an opportunity for all to enjoy cultures outside of our own.

Artists performing across campus include, [SU:M], a Korean duet that plays string instruments, La Chiva Gantiva, Aziz Sahmaoui and the University of Gnawa and Ester Rada. Not only will these artists bring a taste of their cultures, but at 4 p.m. food trucks will line up near the Young Auditorium to feed students’ every need.

The festival kicks off at 12:30 p.m. in the Wyman Mall with La Chiva Gantiva, who plays a blend of Afro-Colombian music. Afro-Colombian music is broken down into funk, rock and afrobeat. La Chiva Gantiva formed in Brussels when three young students began to blend their style of music together.

The Times describes La Chiva Gantiva’s energy as a “frenetic carnival-punk ratchet that detonates like a Molotov cocktail of rock, rap, should and ferociously funky Latin rhythms.”

While La Chiva Gantiva is an event that does not require tickets [SU:M], Aziz, and Ester Rada do in fact need a ticket. These tickets are free at the box office and this event is approved for those World of the Arts classes.

Everyone, however, is welcome to watch [SU:M] and their performance at 4:30 p.m., in the courtyard located near the Young Auditorium, even if they do not have a ticket. [SU:M] performs traditional Korean music from instruments like the piri, saenghwang and gayageum.

Six p.m. brings the Moroccan group Aziz Sahmaoui & University of Gnawa at the Young Auditorium Courtyard.

Sahmaoui presents a powerful trance inducing music that mimics Western African music and Sufi tradition. The event is free but requires a ticket which can be purhased in the Center of the Arts.

Ester Rada’s cross-cultural sound will light up the Young Auditiorium stage at 7:30 p.m. to finish off the music-filled day. “Music has always been a way to communicate with others,” according to Rada. This soulful singer’s ability to communicate with the audience is energetic enough to captivate any audience.

Having the opportunity to witness a variety of music genres, from across the globe, may be a once in a life time opportunity. Whether you are just passing by, getting a ticket last minute, or have your tickets be ready to experience a wave of unfamiliar cultures through music.

If any accommodations are needed for the World’s Music Festival contact the Young Auditorium ahead of time. Their number is (262) 472-4444.