High schoolers deserve tools to succeed

Dylan Bersch, Social Work BS

Many high school students believe they are ready to conquer many life experiences when they leave for the college of their choice. Many students believe that they have the everyday tools to understand how the real world works. Little do they know, they are not as prepared as they think?

Students still need to call home to ask questions about simple everyday things. Personally, this is why high schools should offer more classes that prepare high school students for the real world.

Every student is taught how to solve all the complex math equations, but are never taught how to balance checkbooks, sew a simple piece of clothing, or even how to cook simple meals for themselves.

From personal experiences, I never went through any of these classes when I was in high school.

High school students can best prepare for life after graduation by taking classes that challenge their intellect and expose them to a variety of skills. These types of life lessons are important to absorb before graduation.

Students are required to take a full day worth of classes, but struggle to find classes that they have already not taken.

On June 7, 2013, the U.S. Department of Education announced a new initiative to redesign public schools to better equip students for future educational and
vocational opportunities.

In my high school I was fortunate to learn these everyday skills from classes offered in my high school. I did not learn from my high school, my parents made sure I knew the everyday skills to survive in our society.

This is an important aspect of our education and needs to be offered more in high schools.