UW-W rallies to tie Luther College two goals scored within 51 seconds

Jack Miller, Assistant Sports Editor

The UW-Whitewater men’s soccer team (5-3-3) rallied late to earn a 3-3 tie against Luther College on Sept. 27 in Decorah, Iowa.

After getting down 3-0 in less than 25 minutes of action, the Warhawks got a much-needed goal in the 36th minute from freshman forward Adam Demaster.

The Hawks’ trailed 3-1 entering halftime.

“We’re Whitewater, Whitewater doesn’t give up,” Warhawks Head Coach Tony Guinn told his team at halftime. “Just keep going at them, and good things will happen, but you can’t quit on each other. You don’t give up on your teammates, and you don’t give up on your jersey and the name it represents.”

In the middle of the second half, the men’s soccer team scored two goals, separated by just 51 seconds at 69:16 and 70:07.

In the 70th minute, sophomore midfielder Kevin Mesich put the ball in the back of the net after a scramble ensued following a Warhawk corner kick.

In the 71st minute, Junior forward Peter Raymonds drilled his 10th goal of the season off a free kick.

Both teams were held scoreless for the rest of the second half and through the two overtime periods.

After Luther’s third goal in 25th minute, the Warhawk defense stiffened and held the Norse scoreless for 95 minutes.

“In the second half we played with a lot more heart and character,” junior defender Brian Zimdars said. “We reduced the space in which they could play over the top, which really worked to our advantage.”

Mesich said there wasn’t really any change in the offense after the Norse took a 3-0; instead it was one play that allowed the Warhawks offense to take flight.

“It was huge that Adam Demaster was able to put one away at the end of the first,” Mesich said. “It woke everyone up, and we rallied around that.”

The Warhawks will head back home and take on Saint John’s University at Fiskum Field on Oct.1.