Track and field take on WIAC in Indoor Championships

Calahan Steed, Staff Reporter

The UW-Whitewater men’s and women’s track and field teams placed second and sixth, respectively, Feb.23-24 at the WIAC Indoor Championships in Stevens Point.
The men’s team finished the two day event with a score of 105, and the women’s team finished with a score of 51.50.
On the men’s side, senior Matt Green secured his first conference title with a victory in the triple jump. Green posted a mark of 47-07.25 and remains top five in the nation in the event. Sophomore Tanner Stephens jumped 46-02.00, placing third in the triple jump.
In the 800-meter run, freshman Brian Kuehl secured the title with a mark of 1:55.20. Kuehl remains in the top 15 in the nation in the 800-meter run. Senior Alec Meixelsperger placed third in the event with a time of 1:56.08.
For the women’s events, senior Lindsay Chase won her first WIAC Championship in the weight throw. Her throw fell at the 57-01.50 mark, just missing her career best by one-half inch. Chase ranks in the top 10 in the nation in the weight throw.
The women’s 4×400-meter relay team placed in second with a time of 3:53.83. Sophomores Ashley Tijerina, Megan Hering, Abbie Felton and senior Enyo Amet now rank third in the country in the event.
Both UW-Whitewater teams are scheduled to compete in meets next week. The UW-Platteville Last Chance Meet starts Friday, March 2 at 4 p.m., and the Point Final Qualifier begins Saturday, March 3 at 10:30 a.m.