Warhawks track and field claims seven top spots

Men’s track and field team places second, women finish fifth

Cal Steed, Sports Reporter

The UW-Whitewater men’s and women’s track team competed at the WIAC Outdoor Championship in River Falls May 4 and 5. The men’s team placed second, while the women took fifth. The Warhawks finished with seven individual conference titles and one relay title.

The men scored 155.50 points, 34.5 points behind UW-La Crosse.

“I know we’ve never scored that many points as a team since I’ve been here,” Witt said. “One hundred fifty-five points is a lot.”

Sophomores Christian Jackson and Alex Duff won titles in the 110 and 400 meter hurdles, respectively. Jackson broke the facility record in the 110 meter hurdle with a time of 14.31, and Duff’s new personal best time of 53.08 seconds moved him into the top 15 in D-III.   

Senior jumpers Matt Green and Duvaun Goodlow won titles as Green completed a sweep in the indoor and outdoor triple jump. Goodlow won the high jump with a height of 6-11.50 for his second WIAC championship.

On the women’s side, the team scored 96.50 points, 14.5 points behind UW-Stout.

Junior Celeste Madda brought home titles in the 100 meter and 200 meter dash. Madda now has four career conference titles. The 4×100 meter team consisting of Madda, senior Chelsie Bence, sophomore Abbie Felton and junior Jordan Tokarski won the event with a time of 47.37. Felton won the 400 meter dash with a season best time of 56.22.

Hering was a part of the the 4×400-meter relay team with sophomores Alissa Korslin and Ashley Tijerina and senior Sara Fuller that finished third, good for All-WIAC honors.

“It was great even though we didn’t run our best relay,” Hering said. “We had some girls really step up and really improve.”

The men’s and women’s team will compete in last chance meets at North Central and La Crosse. The North Central meet starts at 2 while the La Crosse event starts at 3 p.m on May 11.