UW-W selected as host of forensics nationals

Carli Pope, Assistant Biz & Tech Editor

UW-Whitewater is hosting the National Forensic Association championship tournament April 16-20, 2020.

Forensics is a public speaking competition where groups from academic institutions present speeches to judges  and are judged based on the quality of presentation by the competitors.

The event is expected to bring 70 teams that include over 1,000 of the country’s elite college-aged public speakers, which will include members of UW-Whitewater’s forensics program.

The National Forensic Association championship tournament will be another opportunity to add a notch to UW-Whitewater’s belt as a forensics powerhouse.

Co-Director Kevin Hill says that the team is brainstorming ways to get both the community involved and the nearby Wisconsin high schools.

Hill said “[we are excited] to be hosting this historic national tournament on our great campus, and we’ll keep the community updated as we get closer to the tournament!”

A member from the forensic team, Alexis Zello is very glad that Whitewater is hosting the national tournament.

“There will be students competing from all over the United States at our University and able to show them the Whitewater experience,” said Zello, “There are not many opportunities for people on campus or the community to see us perform other than our annual showcase.’

Forensics starts in high school and the university is spreading awareness to join the forensic team and remember that there are opportunities after high school.

Co-Director Brian Schanen said the event also could bring strong ties to the high school forensics community.

“Hosting this national tournament will grant the opportunity for future Warhawks to see what forensics looks like beyond high school.”

Zello had initially started because she had a passion for public speaking.

“I wanted to learn how to use my voice to speak about issues and topics that I was passionate for. Forensics gave me the outlet to seek further into these. Honestly, if it was not for this program I would not be attending this school.”

The competitions will be in different classrooms throughout different academic buildings on campus as well as the University Center.