Womens Soccer heating up

Soccer is proving to have the answers, continues streak

Ivan Pomeroy

Player Anna Boyd attempting goal kick to assist intensifying the heat of the competitive season ahead.

Brayden Lantta, Staff Reporter

The Warhawk women’s soccer team won a chilly victory over the Central College Dutch Tuesday, Oct. 15 at Fiskum Field.   

Tuesday was cold and windy, but that could not stop the Warhawks from bringing the heat in their final non-conference game of the season against the Central College Dutch. The Warhawks played a strong defensive game in the first half of the game, keeping Dutch’s offense near mid-field, tied up by passes and strong tackles.

“Central created numerous scoring opportunities that were dangerous, creative, and that caused our backline to react quickly,” said Warhawks senior goalkeeper Sara Klimisch (#00), who was working on her second clean sheet of the season.

The score stayed an even (0-0) for the first half. “I felt we were physical when we needed to be and kept our shape very well. I still would like to see the final pass come through more and create more chances at times from flank positions as well,” said Central College Dutch’s, head women’s soccer coach Michael Kobylinkski.

The Warhawks formed an impenetrable defensive wall and played solid in the midfield. Shots-on-goal, saves and corner kicks were near even in the second half, leveling out total shots taken by each team.

The Warhawks made a final offensive drive against Dutch with seven minutes remaining. Sophomore forward Savannah Curtis said, “We started off a little slow but we were able to settle in. We had a few good opportunities that we just couldn’t capitalize on early in the game.”

Sophomore midfielder Madison Mikalauski got open for a shot, and belted it towards the goal. However, the shot bounced off the post and back into the goalmouth, causing a scramble. Curtis said,  “Madison had a great shot, low and hard to the corner that hit the post and came across the goal and I was able to clean it up and put it in the back of the net.”

Curtis, who now has 5 goals on the season, swept the ball into the goal, and gave the Warhawks a lead they would not relinquish.

“The game was a welcome challenge for us,” said Central College Dutch assistant soccer coach Russell Goodman. “UW-W is a quality program. We felt we defended well overall, got a bit unlucky with a bounce off the post on the lone UWW goal, but are very pleased with the effort, attitude, and intensity of our women.”

Curtis said the team struggled early in the season, but have focused on each game individually yielding better results as the season has progressed. The team can now put their full attention into their five remaining WIAC conference games. The Warhawk’s next home game is Wednesday, Oct. 23 against UW-Platteville.