Golfers end spring season strong, looking ahead to Nationals

Warhawks aim for big showing at Nationals

Ross Guyette, Assistant Sports Editor

Golf finishes off 2019 season ranked 16 in top 25 poll. Warhawks placed fourth out of 18 teams on Tuesday at the Golfweek Division 3 at Baytowne Golf Club in Miramar Beach, Florida. Ending Tuesday, Warhawks proved to be strong competition during the three day event.

Placing no lower than fourth during those three days, the golfers strengthened their national bid. Resilience has been a strong suite of these golfers. “It means a lot for us to compete at nationals. This could not have gone any better. We won the moments throughout the season we were able to focus on the process each and every day. This means the world to our team,” said senior CheyAnn Knudson.

CheyAnn Knudson broke the school records for 18 hole sets and 54 hole sets, and placed sixth out of 95 skilled golfers during the tournament. “Having an encouraging team can help bring out the best in every player. It was super emotional, mentally I got over the hump, it was a really intense moment,” said Knudson.

Coach Weiland all year long has her team focus on each opportunity at a time, and keeps her team motivated, which has helped her Warhawks get a third straight national bid. “The importance of mindset is everything, Even though at times we weren’t the best, we were able to trust each other to pick up the team and accomplish our goal. We were successful in that through the season,” said senior Kristin Rowe.

Although CheyAnn Knudson placed highest, she wasn’t the only one performing at a high level as seniors Kelly Storti, Kristin Bowe and Ashley Hofmeister along with sophomore Ashton Sinak placed within the top third during the event.“The team chemistry is amazing. We have put in so much effort into getting where we are today,” said  Kelly Storti. “College golf has been better than expected, it has changed my life.”

The Warhawks will reopen their season in May as they head to Palm Beach, Florida, where they will play on a PGA National Championship course.