VP becomes new president

Robbie Elsbury Jr.

Ostermann sits in a meeting as VP. Starting this spring, he will participate in meetings as president.

Danny Grisanzio, Assistant News Editor

Whitewater Student Government (WSG) finds itself under new leadership after Former President Jen Purcell stepped down due to graduating after the fall term. Alex Ostermann, former vice president and a three-year veteran of WSG, will take over as the new president of the organization.

In his last semester before graduation, Ostermann is excited to make a difference from a leadership standpoint.

“It’s great to be able to work with students, faculty, staff, administrators and the Whitewater community to find the best outcome for all,’’ said Ostermann. “All aspects of student success, community, climate and making UW-W the best it can be, is at the center of all that I love and I am committed to making everything better and long-lasting.”

Ostermann stressed the importance of shared governance, which is state legislation under statute [36.09(5)], allowing student representation to voice their opinions within their universities.

“With many changes in leadership in the past year in WSG and campus administration, it is important to continue to hear from students and build connections and collaborate with other governance groups,” he said. “Without a full picture of what solutions may exist, the best one can’t be identified without getting everyone’s opinion. It is our diversity in people, identity and position that makes University of Wisconsin-Whitewater what it is. I take my role very seriously in sharing our voice as students on campus, involving issues and initiatives that have an effect on students here.”

Ostermann spoke very highly of both upcoming events and initiatives, both new and continued from last semester.

“Many events and initiatives planned are shaped around the platform I was elected on: health, safety and community. For example, in health, we look to continue increasing resources for students regarding mental health. For safety, increasing bystander intervention awareness and education. In community, Spring Splash impacts on behavioral education,” he said. “We are also continuing to move forward on some of the initiatives started last semester. Be sure to look for our spring Faculty Award Recognition Ceremony, a spring ‘It’s On Us’ campaign, advancements on the Pronoun Project and new events on campus to hear a broader student voice.”

Over the past few years of involvement within WSG, Ostermann has continued to gain a growing knowledge on how to lead, and to do what’s best for those he represents.

“Moving from a senate leadership position to vice president, I developed more of a grasp on really the large impact we can make on campus and the community,” he said. “I continue to develop and evolve my leadership style, and have built new working relationships with administrators and other shared governance groups. That work began before my role as VP and that will greatly help me serve as president.”

Making decisions for those that an elected official represents can be a difficult process, one students involved in WSG can relate to. However, having people who truly care about getting what’s best for the student body, as well as the community, is crucial, and exactly what Ostermann is striving to do.