National Survey of Student Engagement seek student participation

Dear Royal Purple,

I am writing to ask if you might be interested in publishing an article about the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE), which will be administered on our campus during February. The survey, which is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year, is administered at UW-W every three year – 2020 is the beginning of a new three-year cycle (the last time this survey was administered on campus was Spring 2017 – here is a link to previous results: http://www.uww.edu/irp/surveys/nsse#nsse-reports).

In addition to being the first of a three-year admin cycle, this year’s administration is important because UW-W is part of the University of Wisconsin System consortium – that means that all 4 year institutions in the UW system are participating in the survey, and the UW System Administration uses the results of this survey to examine how UW system schools differ from each other on issues that are otherwise difficult to assess. However, response numbers on our campus have been falling in recent years, which might affect how UW-Whitewater is perceived within the system.

Also, this is the first time that Rock students will be asked to participate in this survey, as part of UW-Whitewater.

The survey is only sent to first-year students and seniors, and it asks them about their academic experiences  and interactions with faculty at UW-W. I have attached a copy of the survey instrument for your reference.

If you have any interest in doing a story on the NSSE (and/or the companion survey for faculty that we will administer in March), please feel free to contact me – I am the survey administrator on campus. I will be happy to provide any information you might need for this story.

Thanks for considering this request.

Jess E. Clayton

Ph. D.