A benefit for veterans

Registrar coordinator helps service members succeed

Veterans and Service Members Organization

Bradley Burt, Journalist

While some on campus may not know Amy Moore, veterans certainly do. Moore is the UW-Whitewater veteran benefits coordinator. She helps students navigate the complex paperwork and processes required for receiving important benefits that help them through their education at UW-W. 

Moore is a Navy veteran who grew up in Jim Falls, Wisconsin. She served four years on active duty and an additional four years in the reserves. Moore’s military occupational skill as a storekeeper served an ammunition ship and a floating dry dock stationed on the East Coast. 

“I served aboard the USS Mount Baker AE-34 Ammunition Ship docked at the Charleston, South Carolina. I also served aboard the USS Resolute AFDM 10 Floating Dry Dock located in Norfolk, Virginia,” Moore said.

After leaving the military and transitioning into civilian life, Moore found reconnecting with high school friends difficult. But her parents supported her while attending school at Chippewa Valley Technical College. Now as the veteran benefits coordinator at UW-Whitewater, Moore recognizes that veterans transitioning into the Warhawk community all have different experiences and need different kinds of support, just like she did. 

“I have learned so much from all my veterans – benefits that I had no idea about.  Getting to know my veteran students has been very rewarding,” said Moore.

One of the benefits Moore learned about was the Wisconsin G.I. Bill. The Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs offers 128 credits of tuition in the form of a grant. The Wisconsin G.I. Bill is available to not only service members each semester, but to beneficiaries as well. 

“Alexis Andrews is employed through the Registrar’s Office and receives the Wisconsin G.I. Bill through her mother who retired from the Air Force,” Moore said.

Andrews is a student worker for the Veteran Services Office. She is a dependent of two U.S. Air Force veterans, qualifying for the Wisconsin G.I. Bill. Andrews assists veterans by informing them about their benefits and keeping them up to date on paperwork that is needed for receiving their benefits. 

“Veterans, spouses, and dependents are always welcome to come to our office. We have an open-door policy, and if that is inconvenient for them then we are able to correspond through email and phone calls,” Andrews said.

Moore oversees the administrative duties for the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater’s relationship with the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs. Moore’s student workers receive a military educational benefit as well. Staff duties include answering phone calls, responding to emails and performing administrative duties to help where needed. 

As a Marine Corps reservist working with the Veteran’s Administration through work study, Lance Corporal Jackson Sonneberg appreciates Moore’s knowledge and the support from the office staff. He believes it is a valuable resource for the veteran community on campus. 

“Amy helped me when I started at UW-Whitewater,” Sonneberg said. “So for me, going from reserves to school was a smoother transition than the average military to civilian life.” 

The services provided by Moore and her staff to the campus, community and country are appreciated by many every day, and especially on Veteran’s Day.