Softball brings home a week of wins

Freshman+shortstop+and+outfielder+Meghan+Dunning+%28Center%29+throws+the+softball+towards+first+base+while+University+of+Chicago+sophomore+Lola+Fisher+%2816%29+attempts+to+slide+into+second+base.+The+Warhawks+played+The+University+of+Chicago+in+a+doubleheader+Saturday+March+27.+

Dane Sheehan

Freshman shortstop and outfielder Meghan Dunning (Center) throws the softball towards first base while University of Chicago sophomore Lola Fisher (16) attempts to slide into second base. The Warhawks played The University of Chicago in a doubleheader Saturday March 27.

Nichole Learman, Journalist

This week was a successful one for the UW-Whitewater softball team (10-4 overall) as they hit their stride bringing home wins in all games.

I think we have really been getting into a groove and I’m excited to see what the rest of the season has in store for us,” said senior Margaret Cohrs who plays third base. 

The Whitewater team started off the week by playing two games against Carroll University on Monday and ended up winning 3-1 the first game and won again 9-1 at the second. To open the double header, freshman pitcher Kate Cleveland improved to 3-2 with the win while she tossed a complete-game, five-hitter, allowed only one run and struck out two without a walk.

Kennedy Cox, who has been playing outstanding this week, gave Whitewater a 1-0 lead when she hit a double to center in the second inning with two outs.

“My biggest personal role is understanding and excelling at my job on the team. Whether that puts me in the dugout or on the field, being a good teammate is always number one,” said Cox. 

Carroll took advantage in game two by starting off the game 1-0 in the top of the first. However, Whitewater came back by registering nine unanswered runs including one in the first, two in the second, five in the third and one in the fifth.One highlight from game two would have to be Vera Pflugradt not only scoring two runs and totaling two hits, but also hitting a three-run homer.

The Whitewater team continued their winning streak Saturday after winning 7-1 the first game against Chicago and then also winning game two with a score of 6-2.Some honorable mentions of this game would have to be Kaleigh O’Brien and Delaney Becker who both hit back-to-back home runs to start the bottom of the third which put the Whitewater team ahead by seven points.

On Sunday the Warhawks played two games against Wisconsin Lutheran and brought home another win  scoring 8-2 in the opener before closing the second game with a score of 17-0. Two honorable mentions from game one would have to be Meghan Dunning’s solo home run and Sophia Kinjerski’s two-run single which broke Whitewater and Wisconsin Lutheran’s tie of 2-2 and put them in the lead. 

In game two Whitewater had a total of 12 hits and took advantage of four errors made by Wisconsin Lutheran. This week has been a successful week for the Whitewater team and the players all seem to be very proud with how well they have been doing. 

“The offensive really came out this week. It was great to see the hits that have been at practice also onto the field,” said Cox. 

Overall, the team has had a successful week and a successful season overall with entering the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference competition with a seven game winning streak. UW-Whitewater will be playing in the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference competition starting April 8 at 2 p.m. at UW-Stevens Point.