Why you should still wear a mask

Elizabest Brownwell, Contributor

Masks/face coverings act as a barrier between you and any virus and can help decrease the transmission of the virus in the air from one person to another.  It is extremely frustrating for everyone that COVID-19 just didn’t go away!  And, now there are new emerging variants of the COVID-19 virus—Delta, for example. 

So, why are masks/face coverings currently being recommended in indoor public places regardless of vaccination status? 

A brief answer to this question, based on current CDC (Centers for Disease Control) guidelines, as well as information from the State of Wisconsin/County Health Departments, is:

1. For the fully vaccinated, to protect yourself from the COVID-19 Delta variant and to prevent the spread of the virus to others. 
  2. For the unvaccinated, to prevent becoming ill with and/or spreading the COVID-19 virus.

Because of this, many UW schools, including UW-Whitewater, have recently set forth the expectation that all students, faculty, staff and guests wear masks/face coverings in indoor public places regardless of COVID-19 vaccination status.

We at UHCS (University Health and Counseling Services) support the recently updated ‘Masking and Testing Requirements for UW-Whitewater’ sent via e-mail to all on August 20, 2021.

(**For more information regarding COVID-19, an excellent resource is:  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov)

• Dr. Elizabeth Brownell, MD Physician