Warhawks help each other

Suicide Prevention Week

Senior+psychology+student+and+student+assistant+in+the+Ambrose+Health+center%2C+Emily+Stahoviak%2C+is+hard+at+work+in+the+counseling+services+office.+

Lyric Trempe

Senior psychology student and student assistant in the Ambrose Health center, Emily Stahoviak, is hard at work in the counseling services office.

Cennedy Hoppe, Journalist

UW-Whitewater encouraged participation in a Suicide Prevention Week filled with activities to help spread awareness of the issue among students. 

From Sept. 5 to Sept. 11, Suicide Prevention Week is recognized nationally to shine light on a heavy topic that is a prevalent issue in our society. 

Suicide Prevention Sunday kicked-off the week with recognition. Make a Difference Monday pushed students to show a random act of kindness to a stranger or friend. Talk about it Tuesday encouraged the public to open up and reach out for self help. Wellness Wednesday urged students to take a step back and reflect on their own mental health. Thank Yourself Thursday was a day just for self admiration and recognition. Phone a Friend Friday was for students to reach out to a friend or family member that you haven’t spoken to in a while. Finally Self-Care Saturday was a reflection day, a day to relax and take care of yourself. 

Applying these exercises can go beyond Suicide Prevention week. These activities can be incorporated into everyday life to maintain better mental health. According to the Active Minds Organization, suicide is the second leading cause of death for college students and others from the age of 14 to 24 years old. One third of college students experience mental health issues, 67 percent of individuals with anxiety or depression don’t seek treatment and 1 in 5 adults have a mental illness. With these facts and statistics it is important to learn more about mental health and how to treat it. 

UW-Whitewater is an advocate for spreading awareness not only about suicide but also general mental health on and off campus. 

The Ambrose Health Center serves the students as being an open, confidential, and safe haven for students and faculty. It is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Emergency meetings can be set up upon arrival or scheduled for a later date. 

They are accessible by phone at 262-472-1305. Their emergency hotline is 800-365-1587 but recommend calling 911or checking into a hospital for active emergencies. 

The Ambrose Health Center recruits licensed phycologists, counselors, and interns to address the needs for the students. Whether it be suicide prevention, sexual assault, mental health, drug and alcohol abuse, or something as simple as time management, they are qualified to fit your needs. 

This free resource is non-discriminatory. Every student, no matter what race, gender, or ethnicity is welcomed at any time.

UW-Whitewater is a participant in Active Minds, an international organization founded by Alison Malmon in her junior year at the University of Pennsylvania. 

Active Minds has their own website encouraging others to spread awareness, sign up to become an advocate, or learn more about suicide awareness and a broad spectrum of mental health disorders. 

In September of 2020, a mental health survey given out by the Active Minds organization. It was answered by individuals from across the country, and took data during the COVID-19 pandemic. The results showed: One in four students reported their depression significantly increased or worsened. 75% reported their overall mental health decreased or worsened. There was also a 66.9 percent increase of students supporting other students with mental health needs. 

Fortunately, these distressing statistics have also brought mental health to the forefront. With the continued conversation, acknowledgement, and education about the prevalence of mental health disorders and the ongoing suicide crises, more knowledge of the warning signs could decrease those numbers.

If you or someone you know is experiencing severe depression, or suicidal thoughts, call the Suicide Hotline: 800-273-6255