Meylor, Wisniewski carry Warhawks to win over UW-Eau Claire

Ky McCombe

Sophomore defensive back Thomas Wojnowski (42) darts across Perkins Stadium to the end zone before scoring during the homecoming game against UW-Eau Claire Saturday, October 30. 2021.

Nay Salter, Sports Editor

A four-touchdown performance by senior quarterback Max Meylor and 120-yard game by senior wide receiver Ryan Wisniewski put the Warhawks on top over the UW-Eau Claire Blugolds by a score of 48-6 at Perkins Stadium Saturday, Oct. 30 in the UW-Whitewater homecoming game.

Sophomore linebacker Thomas Wojnowski got the scoring started for the Warhawks in the first quarter, returning a fumble by Blugolds’ running back Isaac Garside 75 yards for a touchdown. He also finished with three solo tackles as well as an interception to end the second quarter.

“Our coaches come up with great, competitive schemes and it’s nice to have that in our atmosphere. Everyday you have to bring it because nothing is guaranteed,” said sophomore and defensive back Thomas Wojonwski.

Meylor would find Wisniewski late in the first quarter for a touchdown, as well as once in the second quarter and on a 64-yard play in the third quarter. He also connected with junior wide receiver Tyler Holte early in the second quarter on a 15-yard touchdown pass. 

“We’ve got a pretty great connection. Over the summer, me and ‘Wis’ and a few other guys worked on our routes and our timing, and that work is really paying off,” said senior and quarterback Max Meylor. 

The senior quarterback would finish 23-for-31 for the afternoon with 303 passing yards and four touchdown passes.

“The work we put in this summer and the time we had between the 2019 season and now helped us get our connection down and now we’re rolling,” said senior receiver, Ryan Wisniewski, who had his fourth 100-yard receiving game of the season. He now has 641 receiving yards this season.

RG Kosch leaves in 4th with leg injury

In the first few minutes of the fourth quarter, senior right guard Douglas Kosch was carted off the field with an apparent left leg injury. He would not return to the game and there is no update on his status at the time of writing.

Kosch has been a key part of the offense in 36 games over the last two-plus seasons, but the Warhawks have plenty of depth at the position to fill in for him for the time being according to head coach Kevin Bullis.

“Doug is a fantastic player and we’re going to miss him on the field if he misses any time,” said Head Coach Kevin Bullis. “The nice thing is that coach Allen (the offensive line coach and run scheme coordinator) is always rotating offensive lineman. By developing the depth in our program, the next man up has to take advantage of his opportunities.”

“We always have guys stepping up here,” said Meylor. “While it does hurt, and we’re certainly hoping for the best, we’ll see how it pans out here.”

Following Saturday’s game, the Warhawks will host the UW-Lacrosse Eagles at Perkins Stadium Saturday, Nov. 6 at 1 p.m.