Eight Warhawks Win $7k

Carina Lopez, Campus News Editor

UW-Whitewater announced eight lucky Warhawks among the 70 students randomly selected for $7,000 scholarships as part of the UW-System’s Vax Up! “70 for 70” campaign.

From those eight were sophomore Sydnie Holmes of Kenosha County and senior Hannah Mayer of Oak Forest, Illinois.

“Knowing that enough of my fellow classmates took protecting their peers seriously showed me that I chose this school for a reason. I will always be proud to be a Warhawk, and this just adds to my pride!” Mayer said in a news release.

Throughout the semester UW-W awarded $500 to 40 vaccinated students as part of a weekly drawing. All together, Warhawks received a total of $76,000. 

“I am extremely grateful for this scholarship because of how much money I lost due to mental health issues caused by Covid. I had to take a gap year from school to focus on improving myself so I would be ready and healthy for when I returned,” said Holmes. “I am proud to say I am doing much better and encourage others to prioritize their wellness over anything else. Everyone faced challenging obstacles during 2020, and I want everyone to know that you are not alone!”

The university reached its 70% vaccination rate on Sept. 24 and now surpassing it, it currently reports its verified vaccination rate at 77% for students and 91% for employees. 

To submit your vaccination record visit here.