Long jumper reaches national podium

Shelvin+Garrett+competes+in+the+triple+jump+at+the+Warhawks+home+indoor+track+facility+Kachel+Fieldhouse+

Shelvin Garrett competes in the triple jump at the Warhawks home indoor track facility Kachel Fieldhouse

Mikey Rottier, Assistant Sports Editor

The UW-Whitewater men’s track and field team finished the indoor season strong with a tenth place finish at the NCAA indoor Championships, held in North Carolina on March 11 and 12. Among the top performances was a third place finish in the long jump from Shelvin Garrett II. 

Garrett attended Upper Iowa University out of high school, but has made his mark as a dual sport athlete after transferring to Whitewater for the 2021-22 school year. He played as a wide receiver on the Warhawk football team that made it to the National Semifinals and has already proved to be a major factor to the success of the Whitewater track and field program. 

Q: What has being a Warhawk meant to you?

A: It is pretty cool honestly. Coming up in high school and even when I was at Upper Iowa you always hear about the success of Whitewater and just how good they are at all the sports in general. So when I actually got to come here and compete alongside some great teammates and coaches, in one of the best conferences in D-3, at the national level it made me appreciate it so much more. I am really grateful and blessed that I am able to be here at Whitewater.

Q: What were your expectations going into the indoor season?

A: I knew for sure I wanted to win an All-American award. I wanted to test the waters and start sprinting a little earlier than I did last season to help me with the outdoor season. Mainly going into the indoor season I really wanted to finish as an All-American and I am so thankful that I did. 

Q: What are your goals for the outdoor season?

A: I want to get at least two All-American awards and break 50 feet in the triple jump. 

Q: How would you describe the Warhawk culture and the opportunity to compete in not only a successful track program, but an elite football program as well?

A: People mention a family culture all the time but when I got to Whitewater I really did feel that. When I first got here for football I was just out there on my own and a lot of the guys came to me and pulled me in. For track my teammates did the same thing, they welcomed me and helped me out when I needed the help both on and off the track. Whitewater really does feel like a family, we definitely root for each other’s success and try to help each other out whenever we can.

Shelvin Garrett II has high aspirations for himself during the outdoor track season this spring. He hopes to help the Warhawks bring home a trophy at the National Championships and improve on his already impressive performance in the indoor season. Garret has already solidified himself as an integral part of the program, and will undoubtedly continue to contribute to the athletic success and culture as a Warhawk.