‘I will listen to the members of the community’

Brian Schanen runs for Council District 4 seat

My name is Brian Schanen, and I am announcing my intent to run for City of Whitewater Council District 4 in the Spring 2024 election.  The actions of certain members of the common council over the last few months have demonstrated that they are more interested in the interests of a few, over the interests of the hardworking residents and students of Whitewater.  I have become alarmed by the actions of certain members of the council as they attempt to waste taxpayer dollars, and city employee time, to handle differences in personality versus the substantive issues facing our community. 

Over the last year, because of the hard work of our city employees, Whitewater has seen more development than it had for many years prior including many developments that support students, young adults and long-term residents alike, including a grocery store, affordable housing grant and improvements to election systems. After the past week, it is clear that this progress has been in spite of council members, instead of in concert with. City employees should be commended for their hard work.  

As I establish my campaign I will listen to the members of the community, including students, and what is important to you. It is long past due that the city council works for the community, and constituents, it serves. 

The city sits on the brink of doing some incredible things. The attacks on the city manager, city employees, city residents must stop, or we risk losing far more than just a city manager. Our reputation among neighboring communities will tumble, there will be more turnover, and City Council meetings will be far more divided. Additionally, the city’s budget still sits in a precarious position, and spending dollars we do not have, or have not budgeted, is a recipe for disaster. I am running to celebrate the amazing things this city has, and its bright future. This means supporting our city employees, making sound, strategic, financial decisions, building strong partnerships between campus and the community, and being laser focused on implementing the city’s strategic plan. When you see my name, Brian Schanen, on the ballot next spring, please vote for me.