Alleged kidnapper arrested

Yefferson Guzman Rodriguez is charged with Kidnapping (Wis. Stat. 940.31(1)(c)), False Imprisonment (Wis. Stat. 940.30), 1st Degree Recklessly Endangering Safety (Wis. Stat. 941.30(1)), Substantial Battery (Wis. Stat. 940.19(2)), Strangulation (Wis. Stat. 940.235), Disorderly Conduct (Wis. Stat. 947.01), and Resist/Obstruct Officer (Wis. Stat. 946.41(1)). Unless a judgment of conviction is entered, the defendant is presumed innocent of all charges.

Suspect held in Walworth County Jail

Updated Monday, Oct. 16 at 1:03 p.m.

The Whitewater Police Department arrested suspected criminal Yefferson Guzman Rodriguez near the Lincoln Elementary School at 11:11 a.m. Monday, Oct. 16 for kidnapping and other violations.

Officers spotted Guzman Rodriguez on the 900 block of Highland Street, where he ran on foot to evade capture. They chased after him to the 300 block of South Prince Street where he actively resisted officers’ attempts to take him into custody until they used a taser to subdue him.

Whitewater Unified School District staff were alerted immediately that the suspect was approaching the area of Lincoln Elementary, and the school was placed in a “hold lock” status until the officers finished a search of the path Guzman Rodriguez ran to ensure there were no weapons found in the area.

An earlier standoff at a residence on Janesville Street and the resulting manhunt throughout the city was prompted by a report that an adult female victim had been battered, strangled and lost consciousness at one point the night of Sunday, Oct. 15.

The Whitewater Police Department thanks those who provided tips and assisted in the investigation.

Suspect Yefferson Guzman Rodriguez will now be confined in the Walworth County Jail, and the following charges will be forwarded to the Walworth County District Attorney’s Office: Kidnapping (Wis. Stat. 940.31(1)(c)), False Imprisonment (Wis. Stat. 940.30), 1st Degree Recklessly Endangering Safety (Wis. Stat. 941.30(1)), Substantial Battery (Wis. Stat. 940.19(2)), Strangulation (Wis. Stat. 940.235), Disorderly Conduct (Wis. Stat. 947.01), and Resist/Obstruct Officer (Wis. Stat. 946.41(1)). This case has not been concluded. Unless a judgment of conviction is entered, the defendant is presumed innocent of all charges.

———————-

Manhunt ended: Suspect in custody

Updated Monday, Oct. 16 at 11:33 a.m. 

City of Whitewater Police have confirmed the suspect they have been searching for has been apprehended and is now in police custody.

————————-

Armed suspect sought by Whitewater Police

Updated Monday, Oct. 16 at 7:57 a.m. 

Yefferson Guzman Rodriguez is at large and considered to be armed, according to the Whitewater Police Department. He is in possession of multiple rifles and wanted for the following crimes: Kidnapping, false imprisonment, endangering safety, intentionally pointing a firearm at a person and disorderly conduct.

The Whitewater Police Department received a report Sunday, Oct. 15 at 10:23 p.m. of a woman that was in need of assistance at 363 S. Janesville Street. They learned that a male named Yefferson Guzman Rodriguez, 18, described as 5 ‘8 tall, 150 pounds, and who speaks Spanish allegedly held the woman against her will for several days, at times with a gun held to her head. He is described as 5-foot-8-inches tall, 150 lbs. and speaks Spanish.

Police believe Guzman Rodriguez fled the place of residence after officers arrived. It was reported at the time that he was armed and had possibly barricaded himself in the garage or in the basement of the home. Guzman Rodriguez had allegedly made comments to the victim about his willingness to harm law enforcement. Whitewater Police Department officers set up a perimeter around the home and the garage with assistance from The Walworth County Sheriff’s Office SWAT Team and Beloit Police Department SWAT Team as they searched the area for him. The suspect was not found at the residence, so the Whitewater Police Department searched nearby homes of people known to the suspect without finding him.

Whitewater Police Department have been in contact with staff at the Whitewater Unified School District and University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Police Department so that there will be security measures at hand. Police have increased foot patrols, mobile patrols and video surveillance. University students who live in residence halls should follow safety practices by not opening the doors for others, and only allowing access through usage of HawkCard. The Whitewater Police Department asks the community to be vigilant, and report anything suspicious to the Whitewater Police Department immediately at 262-473-055 option 4#. Call 911 in an emergency, and anonymous tips be shared using P3Tips.com.

View Comments (1)
About the Contributor
Dauntae Green
Dauntae Green, Editor

• M

Melina WellsOct 16, 2023 at 11:57 am

The suspect has since been captured and is now in custody. He was found at Lincoln Inquiry Charter School on S Prince Street. No new information is known as of now.

Reply