School board discusses activities, success and budgets

School Board Meeting

The Student Report, presented by Isabel Serna, highlighted the recent updates, events, and initiatives that have been taking place in the Whitewater middle schools and high school. Serna gave a brief overview of Lakeview Elementary, Lincoln Elementary, Washington Elementary, and Whitewater High School’s recent happenings.

Lakeview Elementary School organized its annual “Laps for Lakeview” event, where students raised funds by running laps around the school. They also celebrated multicultural diversity with students and staff engaging in reading, singing, and dancing. 

Meanwhile, Lincoln Elementary School hosted UW-Whitewater football players, providing students with an opportunity to interact with the athletes during recess. The students and players participated in friendly games of soccer and football. They also organized a spirited Road Rally event, in which students walked laps around the track, staff and FTP families cheering from the sidelines. Lastly, Lincoln Elementary celebrated Hispanic Heritage Month with a Family Friday assembly.

Washington Elementary School’s fifth graders took center stage with their first band concert, while a successful PATT: Walk for Washington fundraiser contributed to classroom resources. In sports, Boys Cross Country clinched the Conference Champions title. The school also held its PTO activity night.

When commenting on the PTO activity night, Serna said, “…it was a huge success. 250 students showed up and enjoyed the many activities, including the haunted house, dodgeball tournament, open gym, weightroom, the DJ and dancing, eating great food, and hanging out with friends.”

At Whitewater High School, students were accompanied by instructor, Mike Fellon, to the career fair at JP Cohen & Sons. Their next career fair trip is scheduled for Nov. 13. The robotics team attended a competition and their robot, Ferradermis, ranked third out of 18. The team also earned the TWIST Ties Award, which is presented to teams with stellar sportsmanship and professionalism. Additionally, Amelia Howard, a standout student-athlete, was named Rock Valley Conference Player of the Year due to her impressive 18-3 record. 

Moving forward in the agenda, eighth-grade teacher Yvonne Fanshaw, presented her proposal for an overnight field trip to Washington DC and New York in the summer of 2025. The trip, featuring visits to iconic monuments and a guided 9/11 Memorial tour, received unanimous approval from the School Board.

Accessibility concerns of the trip were expressed, and Fanshaw addressed them by saying, “One of the reasons I’m asking now is to give students and their families 18-19 months to make payments. The company that I use is Education First and they have zero interest payment plans. I am looking at some fundraising options, as well.”

The need for literacy intervention in Whitewater middle schools was addressed by Terilyn Robles. Research that revealed 118 students reading below a 3rd-grade level. The School Board unanimously approved the implementation of two curriculum-based programs to support these students. Additionally, the board approved the employment of a long-term substitute Special Education teacher at Whitewater High School.

In the superintendent’s update, it was highlighted how the school worked extremely closely with the police department, ensuring the safety of students and staff. A special thank you was extended to the police department, teachers, principal, and all support staff who did an amazing job.

The school’s budget and finances were reviewed, resulting in the unanimous approval of the revised budget for the 2023-24 fiscal year. The motion to certify the levy for the same year, amounting to $16,981,971.00, was also unanimously approved by the School Board. The update concluded with a recognition of generous donations, including 12 car engines donated by Generac, designed to enhance students’ learning experiences by introducing them to the inner workings of engines.