Sunny days ahead

Felicity Knabenbauer
The water on Whitewater Lake is calm on a sunny afternoon.

The days of summer are right around the corner! In order to celebrate the summer months properly, Whitewater has countless opportunities to get you out of the house and into the outdoors and community.

With Whitewater only being miles away from the Kettle Moraine State Forest, one of the best ways to get out into nature this summer is to take a hike along the numerous trails that help make up the state forest. From the historic Ice Age Trail to the Bald Bluff Nature Trail, there are plenty of opportunities for hiking and spotting the scenic routes the county has to offer. Many of the trials are pet friendly as well, so there is even the opportunity to get four-legged friends to soak up the summer rays.

Campsites are also located along the trails to pitch a tent or park an RV to extend your stay. More information on the countless opportunities and activities that the trails of Kettle Moraine have to offer as well as daily vehicle admissions can be found on their website

If you are looking for ways to beat the heat, Whitewater is a quick 13 minute drive away from Whitewater Beach. With a sandy, pet friendly beach, boat launch and dock for fishing, the beach has plenty of ways to keep you cool in waves. For information on boat and jetski rentals, visit the Whitewater Lake Boat Rentals page.

Closer to town, Starin Park has both sunny and shaded areas for a picnic, playground for children and the Witch’s Tower for those interested in Whitewater’s history. 

Not too far away in Brewery Hill park is the Whitewater Rotary skatepark that has ramps for all levels of skaters.

The Whitewater Farmer’s Market, located along the railroad tracks in downtown at the Depot Museum parking lot, is a great way to support local farmers and artists. The market runs every Saturday from May to October from 8 a.m. to noon.

There are also plenty of small businesses downtown to help beat the heat with chilled beverages from the SweetSpot, Center Street Cafe, Revamp, Whitewater Nutrition and others. 

Sunny days of summer are finally here, and from downtown to state park trails, there are plenty of ways to get out into nature and out of the house.