Senior group looks to end on high note

It takes a physically strong athlete to become a wrestler, but it takes a mentally strong athlete to remain one. Both physically and mentally taxing, the journey of a wrestler is not for the faint of heart.

For the six seniors on the wrestling team: Corey Anderson, Reid Dickerson, David Dwyer, Adam Latella, Brian Lewis and Corey Schmidt, their journeys are drawing closer to a conclusion. For these men, they might be remembered by their destination, should they reach the national title, but the paths they take to get there will be the defining factor.

Left to right: Assistant Brandon Bradley, Reid Dickerson, assistant Russ Davie, Brian Lewis, Corey Anderson and Corey Schmidt at a tournament the Warhawks hosted for middle schoolers. Not pictured: David Dwyer and Adam Latella. Photo by Anna Lutze.

Currently 18-7, the team is ranked No. 12 in the country by the National Wrestling Coaches Association Division-III poll. Coach Tim Fader said he hopes this senior class finishes their careers the right way.

“I want them all to finish with their best effort,” Fader said. “Whether that’s competing for a national championship in La Crosse come March, or they’re third string and supporting their teammates. I want them to complete their journey.”

For Dickerson, Lewis and Schmidt, the journey has been four straight years with the program, transitioning from freshmen to seniors. While the other three, will finish their careers after taking unconventional paths.

Anderson, UW-Whitewater’s own Russell Wilson, transferred in last semester and in that time was voted a team captain and compiled a record of 23-2. Dwyer also transferred back in, but is much older than most of his teammates at 26. Then there’s Latella, who took a year off of school, but later returned to the team a sixth-year senior.

Although the seniors have taken the team’s ideals to heart, and all share the same lofty expectations of winning a national championship, the group would say they are all quite different.

Anderson said each senior contributes something different to the team.

“I bring the laughter, Reid’s all about the rules making sure people are doing the right things and Adam keeps everybody in line,” Anderson said. “Dave has the experience since he was wrestling in the state finals when I was in middle school, Corey helps kids with school and Brian leads by example.”

Anderson has only been a Warhawk for roughly five months, but in that time he was made a team captain. He was talked into transferring to Whitewater from Newberry College, by Dwyer and Latella, his teammates from his alma mater Hononegah High School.

“I came to Whitewater once and after seeing those guys again everything just clicked,” Anderson said. “We have our own fan base 30 minutes away and it has been great.”

Fader said Whitewater was a good fit for Anderson.

“I’ve never had someone transfer in and be made a captain so quickly,” Fader said. “If Corey’s on the mat and the meet is on the line, we’re confident that we will win. I wish we had more than five months with him.”

His Hononegah counterpart, Latella, sat out a year to deal with financial issues, but said that coming back for wrestling was just as important as school.

“I’ve been wrestling my entire life,” Latella said. “So its something I truly enjoy, but it also drives me to keep my grades up.”

Fader said that there is only so much the coaches can teach the players, and this year’s roster has 15 freshmen, which means it fell to the seniors to assist them in acclimating to the collegiate setting.

Dickerson, Lewis and Schmidt were fortunate enough to start here as freshmen, and be part of the program for four-straight years.

“Our team’s a bunch of characters, and we have fun and support each other,” Schmidt said. “I like to help the younger guys with their technique and give them advice on academics.”

“We have a close-knit group here and it has been great to go through this with good friends at your side,” Dickerson said. “We have focused on keeping the freshmen involved so they feel more comfortable adjusting to the college level.”

“It’s interesting being a freshman because everyone comes in as a stud out of high school,” Lewis said. “The best thing for us to do, is to not go easy on them. I mean I got beat up every day by the older guys.”

Fader said the sky is the limit for his team and that he would not be surprised if several players stayed involved with the program after graduation.

“This senior class is unique and I think they can all be successful at whatever they do after graduation,” Fader said. “I hope they love the sport and I know that they are better people for wrestling here.”