Raymonds twins reunite on Fiskum Field for UW-W soccer

Jack Miller, Assistant Sports Editor

Among the many new faces the UW-Whitewater men’s soccer team welcomed at the start of the 2017 season, two were just about indistinguishable.

Identical twins and junior forwards Peter and Henry Raymonds are currently in their first season with the Warhawk soccer team, after both recently transferred to UW-Whitewater.

As high school seniors, the twins helped Brookfield East High School capture the WIAA Division II state title in soccer.

Then, after over 15 years of playing competitive soccer side by side, the two went their separate ways.

Henry chose to attend UW-Parkside, while Peter, who was named as the men’s Wisconsin Soccer Player of the Year as a senior, went on to UW-Milwaukee.

Henry Raymonds said it was weird not having his twin by his side early in his collegiate career.

“At first, it’s hard to get used to playing with other people rather than your twin,” Henry Raymonds said.

But, as time went on, the two adapted to their new situations.

“It’s different, but you got used to it,” Peter Raymonds said. “We learned how to play with our other teammates.”

Although the Raymonds enjoyed their time at their respective schools, both noted issues, ultimately leading to both transferring.

First to transfer was Peter Raymonds, who decided to come to UW-Whitewater in the spring of 2017. After UW-Parkside athletics received a postseason ban from the 2017-2018 season, Henry Raymonds followed in his brother’s footsteps and made the transfer to UW-Whitewater in the fall of 2017.

“I knew I wasn’t going to be playing for much,” Henry said. “So, I got on the phone with my dad, and two days later I was at Whitewater.”

The season opener against Simpson on Sept. 2 was the first time Peter and Henry Raymonds played for the same school since Brookfield East’s state title game in 2014.

“It was really fun to be back playing with Henry. I missed playing with him,” Peter Raymonds said.

Even after years apart, the duo’s on-field rapport seems to be intact which Henry Raymonds described as similar to their off-field relationship.

“A lot of bickering at each other,” Henry Raymonds said, with a chuckle. “There’s lots of good chemistry.”

Through 10 games, Henry Raymonds has two goals and two assists, while Peter Raymonds has a team-high of 10 goals and four assists.

The stellar play from the twins have the Warhawks at 5-3-2.

Men’s soccer head coach, Tony Guinn, described the impact that the twins have had for the Warhawks.

“I think they’ve scored about 65 percent of our goals,” Guinn said. “They’re both very athletically gifted. The fact that their twins, it’s almost like they don’t have to speak to each other to know where each other are located on the field. They’re very passionate, protective of each other, and they wear their emotions on their sleeves.”

Guinn also noted what it’s like to coach the brothers, who he described as soulmates, comparing them to Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly from “Step Brothers”.

“Sometimes they make me cry laughing, sometimes they make me red in the face,” Guinn said. “I wouldn’t trade them, I like them a lot. It’s a process every day, but I think they have the potential to be great.”

Although Peter and Henry took different routes to get to Whitewater, they’re once again reunited on the field. Who knows what’s in store for the Warhawks with the Raymonds twins; the last time they shared the pitch, it ended with them hosting a championship trophy.