Incumbent James Allen narrowly re-elected to common council

Nicole Aimone, News Editor

Incumbent James Allen was re-elected to City of Whitewater Common Council At-large seat with a 588-vote win against challenger Brienne Diebolt-Brown.

The margin between the two was razor-thin: Diebolt-Brown was not far behind, pulling in 521 votes.

Allen is a lifelong Whitewater resident and said in an interview near the beginning of his campaign that in his focus for his next term would be to bring a grocer to Whitewater.

He then expressed concerns with the lack of a grocer in the city; and also about people spending their dollars in other municipalities due to the absence.

Allen said he would also like to focus on budgetary issues facing the council and working to find a solution to an imbalance in family and student housing available, where there is a lack of single-family housing for non-student residents in Whitewater.

Allen said he would also like to continue to address declining enrollment at both the Whitewater Unified School District and the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.

About the Writer
1 Comment

One Response to “Incumbent James Allen narrowly re-elected to common council”

1. Lynn on April 4th, 2018 10:30 pm

Whitewater Council Person at Large Walworth Rock Jefferson Total
    Brienne Brown 521 66 587
    Jim Allen 588 75 663

Per above, the total vote was 663 to 587. This article provides only the vote in Walworth County.