‘Focused, driven and passionate’

UW-W Forensics Team wins Dairyland Tournament

‘Focused, driven and passionate’

Ever Aroca

Ever Aroca

Ever Aroca

Samantha Lynn, Staff Reporter

The Forensics team took first place in the Dairyland Tournament Dec. 2 at UW-Whitewater.

Junior Jennifer Toone has been a part of the forensics team for three years. Toone won the tournament championship in Duo Interpretation with sophomore Alexis Zello.

“Sharing this hard work and victory was extra meaningful because my partner is also one of my closest friends,” Toone said.

While Toone took the title in Duo Interpretation, the whole team finished first place. “The team win meant a lot because each member is so passionate about this activity,” Toone said.

Kevin Hill, a former student of UW-Whitewater, is now the co-director for the Forensics team. Hill said the team had very little change from previous years. They remained focused, driven and passionate about their performances. The passion they carried helped the success of the first win of the season.

“The students deserve all of the credit, I’m just happy I was able to play a role in helping them along through their journey towards this great accomplishment,” Hill said.

Senior Anna Messerschmidt said one thing that was different about this year than last was the size of the team. With fewer seniors and members, the team was still able to be “incredibly competitive and all of us formed a bond with each member of the team,” Messerschmidt said.

“The best part of being on the forensics team is being a part of a second family,” Toone said. “The team, as well as the community, is extremely open, caring, and supportive.” There is no denying the special bond these members have with one another, and it allowed them to succeed throughout their season.

Hill said Forensics is unique because it gives a voice and outlet to those who may otherwise have a hard time finding one. “It teaches incredible interpersonal skills, all while using our voices to advocate for a better society,” Hill said.

While the forensics team celebrates the win, they will still carry the bond and passion for seasons to come.