Senate candidate visits campus

Whitewater+Student+Government+Speaker+Justin+Wesolik%2C+Student+Body+President+Davin+Stavroplos+and+Director+of+Student+Affairs+Will+Hinz+talk+to+Senate+candidate+Tom+Nelson+%28D%29+outside+the+University+Center+Oct.+16%2C+2001.+

Whitewater Student Government Speaker Justin Wesolik, Student Body President Davin Stavroplos and Director of Student Affairs Will Hinz talk to Senate candidate Tom Nelson (D) outside the University Center Oct. 16, 2001.

Dauntae Green, Managing Editor

U.S. Senate Democratic candidate and Outagamie County Executive Tom Nelson visited the UW-Whitewater campus Oct. 16, 2021 as the second stop of a four-part university tour around Wisconsin. Nelson will then visit 72 counties in 72 days. He plans to drive all night, and open his tour up to cafes, pubs, and even at McDonald’s. He’s won six times in a county won by former president Donald Trump by talking to them, and says he isn’t afraid to talk to anyone no matter what their political party. Instead of many celebrities, senators, and elected officials would be there to see him. He wants to have anyone go see him speak, and discuss what they want to say. 

Nelson visited the university to show that student leaders have a voice to be heard from the government, talk about the issues, and encourage a petition to get state funding that would bring university buildings up to code. 

“Students need a real advocate for them in the Senate and I vow to take their voices with me to Washington,” said Nelson.

Nelson visited many places in order to connect with the campus community and learn more about the students, faculty and staff. All to show them what he wants to talk about and work with them by bringing their voices to be heard. 

“This is a practice trip of sorts because later this week, we’ll be kicking off the ‘Full Nelson Tour.’ That’s right, 72 counties in 72 days – we are going all over!  I want to find out the issues that are important to you because when I go to Washington, I’m going to take on the corporate interests. I come from the Fox Valley, a tough place for Democrats to win, but I’ve won six times,” said Nelson. “I’m going to put the billionaires and the millionaires in a headlock because I’m going to Washington to work for you. I’m gonna fight for a Green New Deal, Medicare for All, and a $15 minimum wage.”