UW-W Health Center here to help

UW-W Health Center here to help

Rory Leonhard, Lifestyle Editor

As an establishment, the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater holds students’ wellness as a top priority. One of their main goals is to establish a firm foundation for both returning and new students. Whether you have been going to the university for several years or this is the first year you are in attendance, it is important to know what resources are available. Ambrose Health Services is located on Starin Road next to the university bookstore. They offer physical and psychological treatment, as well as modern necessities, at no cost to you!

Health Services offers assistance in a variety of areas. This includes illnesses and minor injuries,

routine check-ups and immunizations, physicals and muscle therapy, treatment for mental illnesses and addiction, as well as a wide range of gender and sexual resources including but not limited to contraceptives and the morning after pill.

Despite being faced by numerous pandemics, the UW system continues to offer both in person and virtual counseling sessions. All students enrolled in classes at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater are eligible for these services as they are included in their tuition. Students enrolled in summer programs continue to have access to these resources. Those who aren’t can pay an additional fee to receive these services. Such services include depression and anxiety, suicidal indeation and intent, body image and self esteem issues, substance abuse, work-life balancing, grief counseling, and plenty others.

Julie Martindale, Health Director at the university’s Health Services, addressed the importance of seeking help when you find yourself in need.

“If you are feeling stressed and need to talk to someone, call for an appointment now before you’re totally overwhelmed,” Martindale suggested, “It’s okay to just see a counselor once – it’s not required to have a series of visits.”

The Wellness team works with peer mentors on and off campus to provide free programs and

resources to those residing on campus. The department embraces all aspects of student life to ensure the best experience. These aspects include social, physical, emotional, spiritual, environmental, occupational, intellectual, and financial wellness. They also maintain a program called Safe Sex Express, which is a free ordering service for products one may need to guarantee a safe, sexual experience.

A large number of staff and students have utilized these services to better their experience on campus. According to the National Library of Medicine – a subdepartment for the National Center of Biotechnology Information – studies have shown that improving mental health is associated with better grades in school. Worksite Wellness is hosting an event where individuals can learn more about suicide prevention from noon to one in the afternoon on the 24th of September. To view more on this event, visit the Event Calendar on the university website. If you are unable to attend, there will still be plenty of other events you can attend in the future so stay tuned.

To make an appointment with any of the health services, visit the university health page or staff directory for information. There is also more information posted on the departments’ social media pages such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

It is important to know you are not alone. Whatever you are feeling physically or psychologically, there are resources available. The university employs licensed psychologists, counselors, and interns to provide accessible healthcare for its students. They strongly encourage attending the sessions they provide, as well as counseling sessions, while the benefits are available. They are always available to listen and help. That being said, if you find yourself in need of emergency care, call 911 or visit the nearest health provider off campus.