Trick-or-treating across campus

Students who live in campus housing may notice a younger crowd wandering around the Residence Halls tonight on Halloween.

The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater will be hosting a trick-or-treating event for children and teenagers of Whitewater and surrounding areas from 4 to 7 p.m. today.

Key access into the residence halls will be removed for trick-or-treaters.

“We have delivered flyers to all of the elementary schools,” Jennifer Gruber, a student who is helping to coordinate the event, said.

Flyers were also handed out to local businesses over the weekend.

Flyers were also distributed to high schools in the area.

“It may be a cool way [for high school students to] learn more about UW-Whitewater,” Gruber said.

There are more than 185 student rooms across campus signed up to hand out candy, and leadership development teams will be providing activities for the children.

“I think the best part about it is you’re staying in one area,” Gruber said. “You don’t have to walk through a bunch of different neighborhoods. You could really just go to one building if you wanted to.”

Parents and trick-or-treaters will be able to tell which dorms are participating in the event by a notice that will be on the doors. Candy will be provided by Residence Hall Association.

“I’ve never heard of trick-or-treat in the dorms,” senior Nicole Lukach said. “I’m kind of disappointed, actually. I would have loved to do it if I knew about it when I lived in the dorms.”

Gruber hopes the event will help bring more awareness to the students about the community and educate local families more about the university.

“Our campus here doesn’t necessarily hear a lot about what’s going on in the community, and we sometimes forget that there are families and children who live less than a block away from campus,” Gruber said. “This may help people understand that this isn’t just a college town. This is where families are raising their children.”

Lukach agreed with Gruber. Lukach said she hears a lot of negative comments about college students.

“Maybe having events that involve the community more would help residents and students see more eye-to-eye,” Lukach said.

Those who wish to trick-or-treat can go to the Visitor’s Center, where they will be provided with a map of campus and a list of participating dorm rooms.

Parking is available in lots 7 and 19. The event is open to all age groups K-12.