Regents vote unanimous

Emily Lepkowski, News Editor

The UW System Board of Regents touched on five factors of college affordability including state funding, financial aid, cost to deliver, tuition as well as the time it takes students to graduate while discussing the resolution the Board unanimously approved on Sunday Oct 9.

College affordability is an issue that is being addressed on many different levels throughout the Board of Regents and the UW system.

“We have requested more financial aid for our students, approved a state funding request for initiatives to address affordability, continued to streamline operations, and have now addressed tuition so that our families can
plan ahead.”

The Board also recommended keeping the tuition freeze for the 2018 academic year as well as approved a cost-of-living increase for tuition
in 2019.

Moving On

David L. Miller, vice president for administration and fiscal affairs for the University of Wisconsin System announced he has accepted a new position as chief financial officer for the University of Tennessee System, beginning in
January, 2017.

“It has been a privilege to be part of the University of Wisconsin System, one of the nation’s great university systems, and to serve the students and families of Wisconsin,” said Miller.

Miller started working for the UW System in 1997. He has also served as the UW System’s associate vice president of capital planning
and budget.

UW System President Ray Cross called Miller’s announcement a loss for the UW System and a ‘tremendous gain’ for Tennessee.

Cross plans to begin the search for his successor right away.

“As I take on this new challenge, I will be forever grateful for the opportunities, experience, and valuable counsel I received with the UW System,” said Miller.

Miller has been with the UW System for almost 20 years.

Cross called Miller a ‘key member of leadership.’

Cross wished Miller and family the best of luck moving forward.