A truly great career for Trewyn

Jack Miller, Assistant Sports Editor

UW-Whitewater women’s basketball senior guard Brooke Trewyn may just be the most accomplished women’s basketball player in the history of Whitewater.

When Trewyn graduated from Whitewater High School in 2014, she held five career records and six season or game records for the women’s basketball team.

Entering her senior season in high school, Trewyn already held the girls’ basketball all-time scoring record with 1,231 points. By the end of her high school career, she finished with 1,596 points, just 13 points shy of breaking the school’s all-time scoring record set in 1970.

Now as a Warhawk, Trewyn has 998 career points and is on the verge of becoming the 16th player in program history to crack 1,000 career points.

With the numbers put up by Trewyn in her collegiate years, it would seem her choice to stay in Whitewater was a good one. However, it wasn’t always a certainty she would become a Warhawk.

“It was a tough decision,” Trewyn said in regards to picking a college to attend. “When I was in high school I definitely had a mindset of getting out of Whitewater and not staying here.”

After some offers from other colleges fell through, Trewyn decided to stay in Whitewater and become a part of her childhood team.

“I always grew up watching coach Keri and have always been a Warhawk fan,” Trewyn said. “It’s pretty cool to be living it out as a real Warhawk.”

Trewyn made the transition from Whippet to Warhawk look easy. As a freshman, she started in 24 of 26 games and averaged 10.0 points and 4.6 rebounds per game.

In her sophomore season, she started in 17 of 28 contests and led a Warhawk team that made it to the second round of the NCAA Division III Tournament in rebounds and assists.

Although Trewyn found great success early in her college career, she’s grown both as a player and person in the past seasons.

Trewyn cited her defensive as her greatest improvement, something she said is still a work in progress.

Between her freshman and sophomore seasons, Trewyn collected 51 steals. Her junior year alone, she had 49 steals. Her junior campaign was also the season she set her career high in blocks with 17.  

From a personal growth standpoint, Trewyn’s four years at UW-W morphed her into one of the team’s leaders.

“It’s really been fun for me to see the development over four years and how much she’s [Trewyn] grown up,” UW-W women’s head basketball coach Keri Carollo said. “I think she could probably say there’s a big difference from her freshman year to her senior year just in her approach to handle adversity.”

Trewyn’s improvement over the years puts her in a spot few Warhawks have been in.

If Trewyn continued her senior season’s scoring average of 14.3 points per game, by the end of the regular season she would finish third on the women’s all-time scoring list and 109 points behind the all-time women’s leader, Mary Merg.

However, Trewyn said she doesn’t worry too much about the record books.

“Obviously it’s [the scoring record] in the back of my mind,” Trewyn said. “It would definitely be a pretty cool accomplishment. Just to be in the same realm as some of those names on that list is pretty cool, those were some amazing players.”

It’s not just scoring though. Few players have matched Trewyn as an all-around player, according to Carollo.

“She’s [Trewyn] one of the better players that we’ve seen go through our program,” Carollo said. “It’s fun to see her reach that level of play, and be able to be in that conversation with some of the other players we’ve had. I know that’s always a goal of hers. I’m sure when it’s all said and done she’s going to be extremely proud of being apart of that really special group of women.”

Along with her scoring prowess, she is also in the top 25 in career rebounds, assists, blocks and steals in the history of the women’s program.

As far as Trewyn’s legacy goes, she hopes it won’t be entirely defined by the numbers.

“Our [the seniors] goal is to have our last game be with confetti falling,” Trewyn said. “That’s the obviously the biggest goal, but you just have to play every game like it’s your last. At this point it’s dwindling down to that, which is sad. Winning a national championship would be pretty sweet to end it off.”