Falling into a new year

Administrators remind us that we are enough at annual campus forum

Olivia Storey, News Editor

Interim Provost Dr. Greg Cook hosted the annual Fall Forum Tuesday, Aug. 27 for faculty and staff to learn about the university’s plans, goals and programs for the 2019-2020 academic year. Many different subject areas were covered such as the budget, Strategic Enrollment Planning (SEP), engaging with students and UW-W’s values.

“The main effort of this event for faculty and staff is to celebrate a thriving and vibrant university,” Cook said. “We’re always changing. We’re always growing and doing the best to provide for our students.”

The event was a collaborative effort between many different faculty and staff members on campus. Presenting alongside the Provost were the deans of each college, as well as an introduction of Chancellor Dr. Dwight C. Watson who took office August 1 as the university’s 17th chancellor.

Cook addressed an expected lower enrollment for the 2019-2020 year, which would mean less revenue for the budget. Chief Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Officer Dr. Kenny Yarbrough told the campus that each individual is an important part of the Warhawk family and are welcome.

“This fall forum typically contains messages that we want to reinforce and remind our faculty and staff of,” Cook said. “It reflects their values, so this is also echoing what we’re hearing from the employees and how they support their students every day. We want to recognize that as administrators.”

One of the pivotal  presentations about student success and inclusion was led by Interim Dean of the College of Education and Professional Studies, Dr. Robin Fox. Fox shared how the university focused on creating healthy environments between faculty and students, as well as how the university will continue to do so this year and in the future.

“We do have some obstacles, we do have some challenges,” Cook said. “But we have a long history of meeting those in very responsible ways, and I have great confidence that this will be a great year for UW-Whitewater.”