New Pauquette Center brings educational opportunities to students

Client+services+Manager+Danielle+Sarver+%28left%29+and+client+services+representative+Penelope%0AKinsman+sit+at+the+front+desk+of+the+Pauquette+Center+for+Psychological+Services+%26+Family+Counseling+in+the+Innovation+Center+at+Whitewater+University+Technology+Park.+

Dane Sheehan

Client services Manager Danielle Sarver (left) and client services representative Penelope Kinsman sit at the front desk of the Pauquette Center for Psychological Services & Family Counseling in the Innovation Center at Whitewater University Technology Park.

Alicia Dougherty, Assistant News Editor

The Pauquette Center for Psychological Services & Family Counseling will offer internships to students for master’s degree programs in licensed professional counseling and social work this fall. The newest location opened this month at UW-Whitewater’s Innovation Center.
“We look forward to building a strong relationship with Pauquette Center,” said Department of Social Work Chair Sarah Hessenauer. “Finding clinical internships in the Whitewater area can be difficult for the programs, so having this opportunity for interdisciplinary teamwork to address mental health concerns will benefit both the UW-Whitewater master’s students and the community.”
Internships are offered to students who are recommended by the faculty of their program, depending upon the student’s individual interests and what populations they want to serve.
“Just the breadth of opportunities for the students and having an evidence-based practice is what I feel will really benefit the students seeking internships with us,” said Vice President and Executive Director Dr. Lesley Chapin. “Pauquette is a fantastic place to work. We have phenomenal leadership that is family forward. Work balance is important to our leadership. It’s not just a team feel, it’s a family feel.”
In Dec. of 2020, the city of Whitewater announced it would become the newest location for the Pauquette Center for Psychological Services & Family Counseling, which has been serving communities in Wisconsin for over 55 years. First opening in 1965 as the Columbia County Guidance Health Center above a drug store in the city of Portage, Pauquette mental health clinics have grown to nine locations all over the state.
It was an easy decision for both President Thomas Hayes and Director of Business Operations Peter Schuster, who are alumni of UW-Whitewater.
“Our decision to move to Whitewater was an easy one as our organization has fairly strong ties to the community,” said Chapin. “I was born and raised in Fort Atkinson and my family still resides there. This community invested in my education throughout my undergraduate and graduate programs, so bringing my education full circle and bringing services to Whitewater is meaningful.”
For more information about the Pauquette Center for Psychological Services & Family Counseling visit www.pauquette.com.

Psychologist Jill Baures stands for a photo at the Pauquette Center for Psychological Services & Family Counseling Whitewater office, located in the Innovation Center at Whitewater University Technology Park. (Dane Sheehan)