UW-Whitewater AMA earns several awards including international chapter of the year

Many know about the success UW-Whitewater athletic programs have had this year.

Peltier

However, the UW-Whitewater chapter of the American Marketing Association was named the International Chapter of the Year at the international collegiate conference in New Orleans March 22-24.

The chapter also took second place in the case competition and first place in the video competition.

“The past 10 years UW-Whitewater has done an amazing job,” AMA Vice President Austin Durham said. “As a chapter here at UW-Whitewater, we work really hard every year. It was just kind of a thing that we did. It’s a great feeling.”

Durham said AMA has won three of the last four national titles.

“It’s a great way to see all of our work come together and how it pays off,” Durham said. “Everyone looks up to us and that’s an awesome thing.”

Senior Dana Aschaker was also chosen from 10,000 students as AMA Student Marketer of the Year and adviser Jimmy Peltier won the Outstanding Adviser Award. Aschaker is the first woman to ever win the award.

According to senior Laura Garieby, the chapter also earned the third place membership award, fifth place SABRE business simulation, outstanding faculty paper and numerous AMA Saves Lives awards.

Peltier said the objectives of AMA are to develop the members and create a social environment to establish lifelong network opportunities. Not only does AMA benefit its members, it also runs numerous fundraisers that donate thousands of dollars.

Peltier said AMA is the biggest association on campus and has had endless success. He said the chapter here at UW-Whitewater is the top-rated chapter in AMA and in 34 years competing in the national competitions, have won nine times including three of the last four.

Peltier said he is proud of his AMA members.

“These students are like our kids,” Peltier said. “We feel responsible for taking care of them while they are on loan from their real parents.”

Case Adviser Pavan Chennamaneni said the UW-Whitewater chapter of AMA sets the bar for other chapters.

“When they hit a roadblock and stumble, they get up and just try harder,” Chennamaneni said. “The passion and hunger they display is evident, and the results speak for themselves.”

Senior President Samantha Knitter said it has been an unforgettable experience.

Knitter

“Being AMA president has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life,” Knitter said. “AMA is like a family. Once you become part of that family, you are a member for life.”

At its regional conference this year, AMA had a record 630 attendees. The annual report said only 38.5 percent of AMA are marketing majors while the rest are made up of management, finance, accounting and communication majors.

AMA generated over $64,000 in revenues from 43 projects, and the group has donated $49,065 to charitable causes. Some of the biggest fundraisers include the Polar Plunge and AMA Saves Lives.

Alex Wolf contributed to this article