Young Auditorium performs online

Olivia Enriquez, Assistant Arts & Rec Editor

Despite the cancellation of shows due to COVID-19, the Young Auditorium is keeping engaged with audiences at home by posting every day to its Facebook page including links to live-streamed performances and art resources.

“We are posting daily content on our Facebook page, including links to a new web series called ‘Backstage Perspectives.’ We currently have three episodes of Backstage Perspectives online. Backstage Perspectives airs weekly on YouTube and Young Auditorium’s Facebook page,” said Shannon Dozoryst, the Director of the Young Auditorium.

Many individuals are mourning the loss of creative performance and in-person shows. Those who were looking forward to attending the performances and those who were going to participate in them, such as students and professional performers, feel disappointment of having the performative arts postponed until the community is healthy and safe again.

“I was very disappointed that we couldn’t present Drum TAO, which was scheduled for March 18. It would have been a fantastic and memorable performance for students and community members to experience… This company has been able to provide live-streamed performances to audiences, and we have been able to share those digital performances with Young Auditorium patrons on our Facebook page,” Dozoryst said.

Despite the grief that the community may feel for missing out on the experience of going to live, in-person shows, the Young Auditorium continues to encourage everyone to stay involved and support the performing arts online by following the Young Auditorium on Facebook.

“I’ve been so impressed with the generosity of artists’ time and talents online during a time when many of them are experiencing the hardship of being out of work. The arts help people get through difficult times like this, so please continue to support the arts in any way that you are able,” Dororyst said.

The College of Arts and Communication has also started an online event series called “Music Mondays” to help students and community members stay engaged. The full schedule of events and performances can be found on the College of Arts and Communication’s website.

“As we stay separate, we’re hoping you’ll come together with us to celebrate the power of the arts and the will of our students, faculty, and staff to keep moving forward,” said the Center of the Arts Marketing Team.

The road to returning to normalcy might be unsteady and unclear but the Young Auditorium and the College of Arts and Communication is committed to trying to ease that stress for the community.

“Although the current situation poses significant challenges, we are planning and striving to ensure that our patrons will have access to digital educational and entertainment programming that is as close as possible to attending a live performance,” said Dororyst.

Like all departments and organizations on campus, the Young Auditorium has also been forced to cancel events and shows for the safety of the community due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

All shows that were scheduled to be held at the Young Auditorium during the Spring 2020 season have been canceled, including the Broadway performance of An American in Paris which was scheduled for May 3.

However, the Young Auditorium has tentatively rescheduled the EmiSunshine Concert that was supposed to have taken place on April 3 for a new date of Nov. 22. Patrons who have already purchased tickets for the events that were cancelled this semester will be given a gift certificate to apply to future shows during the 2020-21 academic year.

“Patrons who have purchased tickets for the cancelled performance will be personally contacted by a Young Auditorium staff member to discuss options,” said Young Auditorium Marketing Specialist Aaron Wesolowski.