Warhawks weigh in on favorite ski slopes

Mac Molli, Journalist

Winter months in Wisconsin can be cold and unforgiving, but that does not stop determined individuals from bundling up and taking a trip to their favorite ski resort for a day of snow-filled fun.

Those who enjoy the outdoors will appreciate the landscape of a big, snowy hill filled with skiers and snowboarders making their way down. With an array of beginner runs to black diamonds, terrain parks and moguls, taking a trip to a ski resort will be filled with entertainment and challenges.

Wisconsin isn’t necessarily known for its mountains, however there are a handful of ski resorts in the area that fit the bill for beginning and experienced riders. There are a number of ski resorts that local students enjoy visiting, each unique with its own features to make their mountain special.

The nearest ski resort to Whitewater is Alpine Valley Resort, located 20 miles East in Elkhorn, Wisconsin. Alpine features over 100 skiable acres with 20 runs that range from beginner to expert, as well as three terrain parks fitted with rails, boxes, and other snow features.

“Alpine is a great place to ski because the ski lift lines are short. The ski lifts are fast and get you to the top quickly,” says UW-W senior Ryan Wagner. “They’re not just known for the mountain, they have a great indoor dining lounge and an outdoor theater for live music.”

An eight-hour lift ticket at Alpine costs $60 during the week and $70 on weekends, in addition, to rent skis or a snowboard along with boots will cost an additional $20.

“We offer services that you would see out West but for half the price and locally,” says Bruce Firestone, owner of Alpine Valley Resort.

Another favorite resort among Warhawks is Tyrol Basin, located West of Madison in Mount Horeb, Wisconsin. It is roughly an hour’s drive from Whitewater and hosts 30 runs of ranging difficulties as well as a designated hill for tubing. Their chalet-styled resort contains a lounge and restaurant, perfect to warm up after being out on the mountain.

“I’ve been snowboarding for years and traveled all around to different resorts, out of all of them my favorite is Tyrol Basin,” says UW-W junior Connor Flatness. “They have a set of runs that curve around the woods which makes it more entertaining for experienced riders.”

Their lift ticket rates are $50 all-day pass or $40 pass for four hours, and full rentals cost an additional $35. In addition, they offer a number of deals including Half-Priced Tuesdays and late night $25 lift tickets from 6-11 p.m. on Fridays.

While the idea of staying inside and out of the cold weather might sound right, pack your warm clothes and snow pants and take a trip to the local ski resort for a fun experience for both beginning and seasoned skiers and snowboarders alike.