Earth month events and memorial

UW-Whitewater sustainability intern Grace Morey, a biology major from sugar grove, Illinois, waters plants in the campus greenhouse in Upham hall in the midday on Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Felicity Knabenbauer

Earth day, officially the 22nd day of April each year, marks the anniversary of the birth of the modern environmental movement in 1970. This commemoration is being fleshed out for the entire month of April as the UW-Whitewater Sustainability office has put together a plenitude of events happening each week beginning Apr. 5. While there are  a resounding 17 events all together this month, here are just a few notable ones on the ever growing list. 

“Please pay special attention to the tree dedication event on Arbor Day, April 28,” said Sustainability coordinator Wes Enterline, “The tree is being planted in view of the Royal Purple offices to remember Amber Levenhagen, a former staff member of the RP in both writing and photography roles. She went on to work for a local newspaper in the Madison area before her life was cut short by a car accident. The tree is donated in her memory.” 

Wellness Workshop: Prairie Walk: April 5, 1:00-2:00 p.m.

Connecting to nature is as easy as ever with the UW-Whitewater Nature Preserve available to all Whitewater residents. Join the University Health and Counseling Services for this wellness workshop that will “focus on the physical and mental benefits of outdoor nature activities like hiking, birding, or geocaching.” Attendees can also expect to learn other natural elements such as the geography of the area and more.

Upham Greenhouse Open House with Recycled Glass Terrariums: April 10, 2:00 pm-5:00 p.m.

Visit UW-Whitewater’s Upham Greenhouse to create a terrarium out of recycled glass jars. Bring your own glass bottles or use the ones provided to own your own mini ecosystem. Members of Students Allied for a Green Earth (SAGE) will also be there to hand out blossom kits and talk about their student organization. Tours will also be provided of the greenhouse.

Trash Pickup: April 13, 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.

The student orgs. Students Allied for a Green Earth (SAGE) and Diversity in STEM Education (DISE) are asking Whitewater residents to help make a difference in the local environment by joining them for a trash pick up. 

Clothes Swap: April 19, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.

One man’s trash is another’s treasure with the annual clothes swap! This thrifting adventure invites warhawks to the University Centers Hamilton room where students can exchange clothes for something new(to them.)

Campus Garden Opening Day: April 21, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.

The campus garden will be needing some intense pruning in preparation for this year’s produce. Volunteers are needed to help with bed preparation and seed planting. Sign up here.

Arbor Day Tree Planting: April 28, 12:30 p.m.

Meet at the Halverson log cabin to celebrate Arbor day with a tree planting commemoration event as well as brief tours of the log cabin. 

“We have our full schedule of events for Earth Month online. You can see what’s coming at our website, updated regularly with changes and more information,” said Enterline.